An interesting fact about lead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opps, misread the element. I blame the early morning.

Edit: Also realized that I was mistake about trimix. Helium is obviously the first thing created. note to self: next time make sure brain is engaged before posting.

Last edited:
opps, misread the element. I blame the early morning.

Edit: Also realized that I was mistake about trimix. Helium is obviously the first thing created. note to self: next time make sure brain is engaged before posting.
I tried that note. Doesn't always work.

note to self: next time make sure brain is engaged before posting.

LOL. Well if I had to wait for that to happen then it would be a long time between posts... :)

It's ok, Mike. You're still stardust to me. :D

R..

I would highly appreciate it if this thread didn't dissolve into discussion about contentious science (by which I mean global warming). I'm after a much more positive tone in this thread and I'm afraid I'll have to ask moderators to intervene if it goes that way.

R..

Even threads correct themselves, sometimes :coffee:

You've got it backwards, life fits the environment, that's all. Change the environment, change the life. Develop half sentient life with some serious conceit and they start to thing that it was made that way for them.

In incomparable Douglas Adams made a brilliant analogy:

Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in, an interesting hole I find myself in, fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it; so the moment he disappears catches him rather by surprise. I think this may be something we need to be on the watch out for.'

* Speech at Digital Biota 2, Cambridge, UK, (1998)
* As quoted in Richard Dawkins' Eulogy for Douglas Adams

and

The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

* Speech at Digital Biota 2, Cambridge, UK, (1998)

Check out some oher quotes at Douglas Adams - Wikiquote

actually, I thought the changes were more fundamental than that .. It's as if the universe were "designed for life" ... I wish I could find that article again

The most I would go with is the weak anthropomorphic principal "conditions that are observed in the universe must allow the observer to exist" (Merriam-Webster's online dictionary) Essentially, if the conditions of the Universe didn't allow for the possibility of life, there wouldn't be anybody to remark upon it...
-Craig

I'm kinda like'n this one ...
The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 90 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be.

Thank you Jan

Back
Top Bottom