An Inconvenient Truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know what your expertise is, but as an oceanographer I'd be hard pressed to style "An Inconvenient Truth" as a "bogus movie filled with exaggerations and inaccuracies."
We don't often agree (or seem to), but you are dead nuts right on here. I went to a Glacier Lake in southern Idaho this past summer where there was permanent pack ice that scientists believ has existed since the last ice age. This is the first year that there has been no ice: none, nada, squat. What a shame that because someone is of a different political persuasion, that reason and science are replaced by hate and fear.

Of course we all need to remember that the global warming message conveyed effectively by Al Gore, is a form of "terrorism" for certain entrenched interests. It is indeed, as titled, "An Inconvenient Truth" for many with vested interests in the established infrastructure regardless of how our (and I emphasize our since we are all responsible to a degree) present way of doing things runs the risk of significantly imperiling other life on our planet, including the very systems that are necessary to support human life.

What I can't understand is how others continue to attack an effort by Gore (and thousands to millions of other lesser known folks) to try to do something to ensure that our planet remains viable not only for our species, but for others.

The arguments about natural climate change occurring over millions/billions of years neglects one "inconvenient truth." It is not really the fact that global climate is changing that raises concerns, it is the rate at which these changes are occurring... and the ability of species and ecosystems to adapt to it (which, of course they will even if through drastic measures like extinction for some/many species).

This is not to say there haven't been rapid changes in global climate in the past due to short-term catastrophic events like asteroid impacts. However, keep in mind what these natural short-term catastrophic events resulted in... not just major and abrupt global climate changes, but MASS extinctions not only of species but of entire groups of organisms.

I'd like to climb Mount Kilimandjaro one day but if I dont do that in the next 10-15 yrs, I might not even see the glacier on top. It also has been regressing considerably.

btw, natives up here have noticed beavers are making their winter food reserve much later than usual these last years. Almost a month later in some cases. Even animals are noticing the changes.

How can beavers be wrong? :wink:

We don't often agree (or seem to), but you are dead nuts right on here. I went to a Glacier Lake in southern Idaho this past summer where there was permanent pack ice that scientists believ has existed since the last ice age. This is the first year that there has been no ice: none, nada, squat. What a shame that because someone is of a different political persuasion, that reason and science are replaced by hate and fear.
It is always good when people put aside differences over trivia and style when faced with serious problems.

I don't know if it was a majority, but it must be around half...no? :wink:
Kim, Hollyweird is so far out there these days that the usual 50-50 split is non-applicable. There are plenty of those on the left that are disgusted with the sewage that comes from there (like most anyone with kids). My SWAG would be no more than about 20% think their way, pretty much the usual loony group that is beyond hope.

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the movie is the messenger. Many, many people including myself have no desire to listen to anything Gore has to say. I think he's a hypocrite, so the message is automatically lost.

did you read the full paper, or only the title ? :shakehead:
I read that article and several others, one a rather amazing comparison of his lavish energy-squandering household lifestyle in contrast to the unheralded ecological design of GWB's house in Texas. Do you know anything about that?

I read that article and several others, one a rather amazing comparison of his lavish energy-squandering household lifestyle in contrast to the unheralded ecological design of GWB's house in Texas. Do you know anything about that?

No, tell us. I for one would be interested in hearing that he has done something for the environment with respect to his personal lifestyle. Of course I'm not sure why he'd have to worry about energy since he has so many friends in the business.

That doesnt fit into the lefty playbook,scare you(fictional movie), tax you(dingell-democrat michigan), and point fingers while "they" go thru energy like its okay. Hypocrisy is gores middle name and when you point it out, boy do they whine and make excuses

Honestly, I think the biggest problem with the movie is the messenger. Many, many people including myself have no desire to listen to anything Gore has to say. I think he's a hypocrite, so the message is automatically lost.
I think there's a lot of truth in that. For a start off I'm fairly sure that often people are commenting on the movie without even having seen it.
I suppose the answer is to try and make yourself at least hear the message, whatever you think of the messenger.

If I didn't do that there'd be a LOT of people who I would be ignoring. To me that's verging on dangerous. I don't need to hear just what they are saying that's right, but also what's wrong. Otherwise any influence I might have through voting, my wallet, whatever, is wasted.

Ignorance for me is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom