An Inconvenient Truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The film is excellent - it won an Oscar.

I'm sure that whatever the Hollywood people think is a reflection of what the majority of Americans think.

The man won a Nobel prize.

Simple.

Sorry but the Nobel Prize lost much of it's luster for me personally when a known terrorist (Yasser Arafat) was given the prize.

did you read the full paper, or only the title ? :shakehead:

I read the whole paper and his so called plans to change a few lightbulbs and put some solar panels on the roof of his home sound great. What's stopping him?

Light bulbs are cheap.

Sounds like excuses to me.

:shakehead:

I'm sure that whatever the Hollywood people think is a reflection of what the majority of Americans think.
I don't know if it was a majority, but it must be around half...no? :wink:

As for Yasser Arafat......

He's come up a few times. Terrorism has been everyone's tactic before they became "civilized". The Israeli's bombed the King David hotel....a terrorist attack. One of the people - Sharon - later became Prime Minister. The IRA & the UDF bombed, shot, and otherwise knocked seven bells out of each other, and anyone else.......and now they're all sitting together in Stormont.

However, Al Gore is no terrorist. He got the prize for raising the awareness of a very important issue for us all. It impacts everything - particularly diving. He deserved it.

He's come up a few times. Terrorism has been everyone's tactic before they became "civilized". The Israeli's bombed the King David hotel....a terrorist attack. One of the people - Sharon - later became Prime Minister. The IRA & the UDF bombed, shot, and otherwise knocked seven bells out of each other, and anyone else.......and now they're all sitting together in Stormont.

However, Al Gore is no terrorist. He got the prize for raising the awareness of a very important issue for us all. It impacts everything - particularly diving. He deserved it.
One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. Dealing effective with terrorism requires the recognition of this truism. History rewards the winners with the title Freedom Fighter or Patriot or whatever and the losers with less desirable attributions. Quite frankly I think that Arafat should have been removed on corruption charges early on, but by the time he won the prize he was, whether any of us liked it or not, the recognized leader of the Palestinian people.

The Peace Prize Committee (an interesting writeup on how the prize works) often (usually?) has used the prize to nudge politics along in the direction that they see as important, that's its purpose.

Well in the case of Arafat they probably hoped that the prize might make him a little more amenable to a solution.

Granted, it didn't work..........but I don't fault them for trying.

Still got absolutely nothing to do with Al Gore though.

What kind of argument is that?
"They gave it to Arafat so it doesn't mean anything now they gave it to Gore"?

Sorry but the Nobel Prize lost much of it's luster for me personally when a known terrorist (Yasser Arafat) was given the prize.

Hollywood supports gore but they also support every anti american film hack also

He won the prize conjointly with Rabin and Perez. It was a group Nobel prize. Rabin was later assassinated but not by the palestinians "terrorists/freedom fighters", but by one of his own people.

Well in the case of Arafat they probably hoped that the prize might make him a little more amenable to a solution.

Again, proving a point I was hoping to make. The prize is not at all a prize for making peace more of a reality here on earth; but a political statement that no longer holds any real merit for many people. It's been diluted to the point of not meaning what it used to mean for many people myself included.

Granted, it didn't work..........but I don't fault them for trying.

I do.

Giving an terrorist a peace prize in hopes of coercing him into being a peaceful man, is akin to feeding an angry grizzly sow your right arm to keep her from killing you...

Still got absolutely nothing to do with Al Gore though.

It has everything to do with Gore. He won the (meaningless) Nobel Peace Prize. Last I checked that's the topic of this thread.

What kind of argument is that?
"They gave it to Arafat so it doesn't mean anything now they gave it to Gore"?

I'm not arguing with you, I'm merely pointing out that there ate at least two sides to every story.

Gore won a prize that is absolutely without merit in my opinion. Winning that prize does not in any way give merit to his movie or his argument.

Gore won the Nobel Peace prize for his: "... efforts to build up and disseminate greater knowledge about man-made climate change, and to lay the foundations for the measures that are needed to counteract such change." of which the film "An Inconvient Truth" was a major part. Nothing more and nothing less.

If you feel that you or someone else was more deserving, complain to the committee that was elected by the Norwegian Parliament to select the winner.

If you do not feel part of the process because you did not receive the invitation that was sent to thousands of members of academies, university professors, scientists from numerous countries, previous Nobel Laureates, members of parliamentary assemblies and others, asking them to submit candidates for the Nobel Prizes for the coming year, perhaps you should check with your post office, that's one of the reasons I always make sure that my postal information is complete and up to date.:D

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The TOPIC of this thread is An Inconvenient Truth. I'm letting this thread move off topic slightly as long posts stay within the Terms of Service for ScubaBoard.

Ann Marie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom