An Inconvenient Truth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have trimmed and/or deleted some of the last few posts. This thread WILL remain within the constraints of the Terms of Service for ScubaBoard.

I am posting this instead of sending out numerous PMs.

Warning: If posters can not share their opinions without violating the TOS (which includes insulting or mean-spirited language) they will be banned from this thread.

Thanks,

Ann Marie

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I have trimmed and/or deleted some of the last few posts. This thread WILL remain within the constraints of the Terms of Service for ScubaBoard.

I am posting this instead of sending out numerous PMs.

Warning: If posters can not share their opinions without violating the TOS (which includes insulting or mean-spirited language) they will be banned from this thread.

Thanks,

Ann Marie
Good job......thank you. :thumb:

We don't often agree (or seem to), but you are dead nuts right on here. I went to a Glacier Lake in southern Idaho this past summer where there was permanent pack ice that scientists believ has existed since the last ice age. This is the first year that there has been no ice: none, nada, squat. What a shame that because someone is of a different political persuasion, that reason and science are replaced by hate and fear.

I haven't any doubt that the earth is experiencing global warming... that is self-evident.

Science also shows that this wouldn't be the first time... it will happen again... but then again, so will the next ice age.

I also haven't any doubt that mankind has contributed to the acceleration that is being observed.

I also agree that we need to be conservationists in nature, and do what we can not to wastefully squander and spoil our environment.

I do doubt that mankind's impact to this naturally-ocurring environmental oscillation is so grave as to stop this natural oscillation between ice ages and tropical ages. The earth has experienced far more traumatic impacts via natural events such as meteorites and volcanic activity, and has sprung back to life without any help from us.

Species seem well-equipped to adapt and change to their environments.

I do question whether politicians have entirely pure motives when attempting to polarize society through such an issue. If you don't agree 100% with their conclusions, be prepared to be branded an earth-hater. How can there be any tolerance for an earth-hater? As a society, let's all just marginalize those who have the temerity not to accept everything that comes across the television or movie screen as fact. We must believe everything we see, hear, and read, for those who can print a newspaper, film a movie, or produce the TV news must be telling the truth, right?

I do believe it is possible to be environmentally-responsible, yet reject some of the conclusions being drawn by well-funded, joined-at-the-hip scientific and political figures.

The 4,000-square-foot house is a model of environmental rectitude.
Geothermal heat pumps located in a central closet circulate water through pipes buried 300 feet deep in the ground where the temperature is a constant 67 degrees; the water heats the house in the winter and cools it in the summer. Systems such as the one in this “eco-friendly” dwelling use about 25% of the electricity that traditional heating and cooling systems utilize.
A 25,000-gallon underground cistern collects rainwater gathered from roof runs; wastewater from sinks, toilets and showers goes into underground purifying tanks and is also funneled into the cistern. The water from the cistern is used to irrigate the landscaping surrounding the four-bedroom home. Plants and flowers native to the high prairie area blend the structure into the surrounding ecosystem.

GW's pad in Crawford, TX seems to be quite a bit more eco friendly than Al Gore's palatial pad. It would be nice to see Gore move out of that monstrosity if he really practiced what he preached.

GW's pad in Crawford, TX seems to be quite a bit more eco friendly than Al Gore's palatial pad. It would be nice to see Gore move out of that monstrosity if he really practiced what he preached.

I believe they're working on it.....

The vice president has done that, Kreider argues, and the family tries to offset that carbon footprint by purchasing their power through the local Green Power Switch program — electricity generated through renewable resources such as solar, wind, and methane gas, which create less waste and pollution. "In addition, they are in the midst of installing solar panels on their home, which will enable them to use less power," Kreider added.
Kreider says she's confident that the Gores' utility bills will decrease. "They bought an older home and they're in the process of upgrading the home," she said. "Unfortunately that means an increase in energy use in order to have an overall decrease in energy use down the road."

And it's really a stretch to call the Bush's "Green", or at least while the house may be so, the money that funded it certainly wasn't!

If we're doing comparisons here, then "An Inconvenient Truth" seems by far the lesser of two evils to me. Putting solar panels on your house funded by the profits from a film on the environment?

Seems OK to me.

I haven't any doubt that the earth is experiencing global warming... that is self-evident.

Science also shows that this wouldn't be the first time... it will happen again... but then again, so will the next ice age.

I also haven't any doubt that mankind has contributed to the acceleration that is being observed.

I also agree that we need to be conservationists in nature, and do what we can not to wastefully squander and spoil our environment.

I do doubt that mankind's impact to this naturally-ocurring environmental oscillation is so grave as to stop this natural oscillation between ice ages and tropical ages. The earth has experienced far more traumatic impacts via natural events such as meteorites and volcanic activity, and has sprung back to life without any help from us.

Species seem well-equipped to adapt and change to their environments.

I do question whether politicians have entirely pure motives when attempting to polarize society through such an issue. If you don't agree 100% with their conclusions, be prepared to be branded an earth-hater. How can there be any tolerance for an earth-hater? As a society, let's all just marginalize those who have the temerity not to accept everything that comes across the television or movie screen as fact. We must believe everything we see, hear, and read, for those who can print a newspaper, film a movie, or produce the TV news must be telling the truth, right?

I do believe it is possible to be environmentally-responsible, yet reject some of the conclusions being drawn by well-funded, joined-at-the-hip scientific and political figures.

Good post. I'd push the Thanks button if there was one :wink:

The only point I disagree is the adaptation of species. I'd precise: some or many species seem to be well equiped to adapt. Cockroaches are, polar bears seem less well equipped. It's all in the rapidity of the climate change.

Whats shameful is all the money gore makes on global warming(selling carbon credits), he has become the lefts version of big oil/halliburton. tsk.tsk.tsk. The company is called Generation Investment Mgmt.

Whats shameful is all the money gore makes on global warming(selling carbon credits), he has become the lefts version of big oil/halliburton. tsk.tsk.tsk. The company is called Generation Investment Mgmt.
Do you support Bush?

Do you support Bush?

Yes on some issues no on others but i do not support gore and his company exploiting "global warming". Take a peek at his company on the internet and you will see what I mean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom