An Attempt at Understanding DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's absolutely true. It's also true that zealotry is frequently something that is inculcated into a group, either intentionally or unintentionally. Rationally people generally do not start chanting en masse how those who don't agree with them are damned or should die or whatever other evil can be wished upon them. Those types of cults generally have a cult leader.

And from what I'm reading it sounds like this Gary guy may well have been that figure for at least some folks who claim membership in the DIR community.
I suspect you meant to say "this George guy"?

Otherwise ... Gary who?

What's interesting to me about Trace's explanation is that it does not appear to be focused at all on specific gear configurations but on agreed upon configurations deemed appropriate through experience for a particular environment.

Yet much of the talk about DIR, even from GUE's own web-site, stems around specific equipment configurations.

And it seems to be the basis for much of the 'zealotry' involved.
Because gear is very easy to quantify ... especially in the sense of Internet conversation perpetuated primarily by people who don't know what they're talking about.

First, because I am interested in technical diving, and I am interested in doing it safely. I am interested in having superior diving skills, both for my own well being and to ensure that I can as on the ball as possible when diving with my wife and children, or who ever else may be my buddy.
Those are all good reasons for looking closer at what DIR programs have to offer.

Second, because much of the gear advice does make sense to me, as well as the team concepts behind it. Some of it appears to me to be more than over-kill for dives that lack the sort of exceptionally long deco stops and dangers of deep cave penetrations and the like. And it seems that what to me appear to be concessions to the realities and budgets of us lesser mortals are frowned upon rather than recognized that diving can be a sport for anyone to engage in. As just one example (though it only partially applies to me, having acquired a bit of gear over time), no dive shop I know of rents DIR "approved" gear, so how are recreational divers supposed to go about diving in the minds of DIR?
Some of it IS overkill for the dives us mere mortals like to do. On the other hand, the appoach is to learn things a certain way so that if or when you decide to go to the next level of diving you won't have to relearn them a different way.

I don't disagree with that point. Who else certifies people to be "DIR" trained besides GUE? If GUE is the more or less defacto training organization for the DIR diving style/method/philosophy/whatever, then why perpetuate the moniker if GUE is moving away from it?
UTD and NAUI-Tech come to mind right off the bat ... although with the latter it's more a mandated gear configuration, while the protocols of teamwork and dive planning are more left to the individual instructor, so some NAUI-Tech instructors are very much DIR while others are far from it. You have to do a little bit of research to know which is which.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some of it IS overkill for the dives use mere mortals like to do. On the other hand, the appoach is to learn things a certain way so that if or when you decide to go to the next level of diving you won't have to relearn them a different way.

I wanted to add that I see a difference between "overkill" and "worthless." Is a 7ft hose on a shallow reef dive going to save someone from imminent death? No, but it's still darn useful to have. What about a well-tied bolt snap? Same thing. These are all things that seem a bit troublesome to deal with at first, but those who go through the trouble do so because they see value in rising above the floor of what is commonly considered acceptable. Some people don't see the cost/benefit the same way, which is fine for them.

What's interesting to me about Trace's explanation is that it does not appear to be focused at all on specific gear configurations but on agreed upon configurations deemed appropriate through experience for a particular environment.

Yet much of the talk about DIR, even from GUE's own web-site, stems around specific equipment configurations.

The way it was explained to us in Fundies was that "you practice how you play". In other words you do your easy dives like you would your more challenging ones. That way your gear configuration (hopefully) becomes second nature and you won't feel overly task loaded when things start to go sideways.

Trace's excellent post illustrate the concept very nicely. At the WKPP project basic Fundies certification gets you to the shallow support group, Tech 1 deeper etc. etc. There is a logical and consistent way to progress to more difficult diving where each level of certification becomes a solid foundation for the next.

I still don't think the equipment configuration is the very core of GUE diving though.

Henrik

I still don't think the equipment configuration is the very core of GUE diving though.
Team is the core.

Equipment is the foundation.

If you don't care if you communicate what you are saying, why say it? Not just with respect to a particular term but with respect to any aspect of a conversation.
I'm quite happy to communicate with someone that is willing to listen.

The problem is theirs, not mine.

That's absolutely true. It's also true that zealotry is frequently something that is inculcated into a group, either intentionally or unintentionally. Rationally people generally do not start chanting en masse how those who don't agree with them are damned or should die or whatever other evil can be wished upon them. Those types of cults generally have a cult leader.

Not necessary. I have seen many new open water scuba instructors become zealots or jerks.

Cause gear differences is something that can be seen on the surface.

Most divers don't see the team, skills, and dive planning that are cornerstones of DIR.

NWGratefulDiver and Anti-Hero tried pointing this out on post #2 and #3.

First, because I am interested in technical diving, and I am interested in doing it safely. I am interested in having superior diving skills, both for my own well being and to ensure that I can as on the ball as possible when diving with my wife and children, or who ever else may be my buddy.

Second, because much of the gear advice does make sense to me, as well as the team concepts behind it.
Sounds like DIR could be a path for you.

What actually peaked my interest wasn't the gear or skills. My OWSI was a cave diver and he dove Hogarthian and pushed even his OWSI students to be in horizontal trim and taught us the frog kick.

It was the strong emphasis on team and the very detailed dive planning. Yes, those general concepts are "taught" in every OW class. However, it's the execution and attention that I found eye opening.

Some of it appears to me to be more than over-kill for dives that lack the sort of exceptionally long deco stops and dangers of deep cave penetrations and the like.

It's about consistency in skills, team, equipment. The idea is to not relearn or rebuy or re-anything as your dives progress.

Trace's post has some good examples.

And it seems that what to me appear to be concessions to the realities and budgets of us lesser mortals are frowned upon rather than recognized that diving can be a sport for anyone to engage in.

Not sure what concessions need to be made on realities and budgets. I can set-up a new diver in DIR compliant gear for less than most recreational packages I see in the LDS.

I don't disagree with that point. Who else certifies people to be "DIR" trained besides GUE? If GUE is the more or less defacto training organization for the DIR diving style/method/philosophy/whatever, then why perpetuate the moniker if GUE is moving away from it?

"DIR" instruction is available through UTD, PDIC-Tek, NAUI-Tech, and other "DIR" instructors.

I don't know if people are actively perpetuating the moniker. It's a legacy name that's stuck.

While it does offend people (it still rubs me the wrong way), most of us just accept that it's only a name and it's not an attitude.

OK so does DIR say you should dive the same rig for all diving? Reef diving in Cozumel, wreck diving in the Great Lakes, Deep diving, cold wtr, warm wtr: all the same? So same set up, minus stage bottles if not needed?

Learning DIR on the internet is a bitch.

Not trying to learn as much as understand.....

If what I asked is correct:
I see the idea of becoming proficient with your gear. However, I have two setup I dive. A bcj for rec diving and bp/w (long hose, can lite, etc.) for tech diving. I am proficient in both. The idea of one setup for all diving seems like one pair of shoes for all walking/running/work/church.....
Interesting concept. Not sure if it's for me?!?!?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom