An Attempt at Understanding DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Um, it's still an excellent book for those new to DIR. It's not money wasted. If you're the type that can't find value in something that might have 1% of its material out of date, well, then move along. Clearly you're too perfect for DIR.

I can't tell if this was directed at me, but my point was only that the book wasn't actually needed or discussed in my class (and apparently, other recent Fundies classes), and so maybe 't be listed as a class requirement. I agree that it's an excellent resource regardless.

Nope, was directed at those who bitch about a few sentences in an entire book. Talk about missing the forest for the trees!

I'm not sure if it was EVER required reading, just a recommendation (yes, I know how it's listed on the website). If you don't have ready access to a DIR community (including instructor), it's a great resource. If you do have such a community, it's only very good.

I can't tell if this was directed at me, but my point was only that the book wasn't actually needed or discussed in my class (and apparently, other recent Fundies classes), and so maybe 't be listed as a class requirement. I agree that it's an excellent resource regardless.

I used to say that electronic publishing would never take off until you could easily bring it with you to the bathroom :D

I fully understand that electronic publishing is the economical way to do it, but I'm old fashioned and much prefer printed material. It's easier for me to read and I like making notes in the margin.

totally off topic, but the amazon website says you can make notes 'in the margin' with kindle. it's off topic, though, because i have no idea if you can get these books on kindle. just fyi. *and* you can take it to the bathroom!

totally off topic, but the amazon website says you can make notes 'in the margin' with kindle. it's off topic, though, because i have no idea if you can get these books on kindle. just fyi. *and* you can take it to the bathroom!

You could also seal it up in two zip-lock bags and go swimming with it too. Keeps the sand out of the buttons too while at the beach.

I like the Dress For Success and many other DIR/GUE books I have. I can't read, so I enjoy the pictures.

:dork2:

Michael

Trace, that is a beautiful post, but I just want to add that the example that you used (WKPP exploration dives) is only ONE of the environments in which ambitious diving projects have been done using the same philosophy and techniques. The Britannic was another, for example. DIR doesn't just work in caves (and I know you know that, but the essay just invites someone to accuse GUE of applying techniques specific to cave exploration in settings where they don't work).

DIR and the kindle in one thread? This must be my all time favorite post :)
I have multiple GUE publications on my Kindle, and you can take notes on it... works pretty well actually.

Looking back at the original thread, this appears to be a rant about DIR divers with the social skills of a badger, not DIR concepts. I have been enjoying this thread (from an open minded, but not compliant to DIR diver perspective), but this seems to be started about a feeling of DIR arrogance.

Look, I've met a lot of DIR divers, and I haven't had them be anything but informative about how/why the methods are used.

You're going to meet jerks, and they're probably going to be grouped together as minds of a type are going to like company that agrees. I've met religious zealots, political zealots, and now there's something for diving zealots.

I wouldn't put much stock in them or their arrogance. I've found that those that show this type of close-mindedness do so because they can only repeat what they've been told, not truly explain the what/why behind it. You're seeing a way of shielding themselves from the doubt that they fear when it comes to explaining why they use a particular system.

It seems that those that truly know what and why they are doing are more than happy to discuss things. It provides a means of examining their own understanding of things.

And look, if these people are arrogant losers, why do you care? I gave up giving any energy to even caring if someone who is anti-social likes me, my ways, or anything else - they're irrelevant. And their attitude makes them irrelevant. Close-minded people are self-limiting.

But referring back to my first paragraph, I may not be DIR compliant, but I find myself regularly adopting more and more of the methodology. But I do on my terms as I understand the rationale behind another concept/detail, not because I was told it is the way things "must" be.

I try to stay away from these discussions, because invariably they devolve into bitter arguments at some point, but this is a pretty interesting to read. I do not have anything to contribute as an entry-level NAUI technical diver to the actual debate of the content, but I like reading about this. The GUE's system does not seem like a bad way to dive, and most of the tenets of the NAUI system are very similar (I'm not going to get into the who borrowed from who debate, because I do not care.)

For what it is worth, I have never run into a jerk card-carrying GUE diver, and the very few GUE trained guys that I have met (I met a few at Ginnie with their instructor) where super nice guys. I personally think that people should abandon the term DIR diver. If you are not GUE trained, then who gives a crap what you call yourself. I could call myself an LMNOP diver, but if I have no training from anyone, then I am just a diver who gave myself a title. That DIR moniker is doing most people more harm than good. If I were a GUE executive, I would actively try to ditch the DIR moniker and all the apparent internet thread reading, non-GUE trained hangers-on that appear to be hurting the legitimacy of the real GUE trained divers.

I agree with Steve (pearldiver) above me. I find myself integrating more parts of the system as I learn more about it. There is not too much difference between the two systems (GUE and NAUI) depending on whom your instructor was. Still, I'm not going to badge myself "DIR" anymore than I badged myself an NTEC diver before I got the training from a qualified NAUI technical instructor. Much of the debate about what is or is not "DIR" appears to be rubbish to me. The GUE lists all its instructors on their web page. I am sure if you have actually received training from one of them and you have a question, then you can email your trainer. I do that with mine all the time. I guess the point is, if you are not a trained diver, then how are you more DIR than anyone else? Because you read things on the internet? Because you try to do what the people who have been trained are doing? They have a word for that in the skateboarding world, they call that a poser.

As I pack my drysuit, regulator with 22" bungeed backup and 7' primary, single web backplate, and other gear into my bag for this morning's dives it occurs to me that my title (self imposed or otherwise) matters very little. The fact that I am going to come back from today's dives with all my fingers and toes is really what matters. If many of you feel that GUE training is the best way for you to do that, then kudos to you, I totally support that. Hell, I'd dive with you guys if any of you lived nearby, provided you would do the same. Well, I'm off to dive Dutch Springs for the millionth time.

I try to stay away from these discussions, because invariably they devolve into bitter arguments at some point, but this is a pretty interesting to read. I do not have anything to contribute as an entry-level NAUI technical diver to the actual debate of the content, but I like reading about this. The GUE's system does not seem like a bad way to dive, and most of the tenets of the NAUI system are very similar (I'm not going to get into the who borrowed from who debate, because I do not care.)

For what it is worth, I have never run into a jerk card-carrying GUE diver, and the very few GUE trained guys that I have met (I met a few at Ginnie with their instructor) where super nice guys. I personally think that people should abandon the term DIR diver. If you are not GUE trained, then who gives a crap what you call yourself. I could call myself an LMNOP diver, but if I have no training from anyone, then I am just a diver who gave myself a title. That DIR moniker is doing most people more harm than good. If I were a GUE executive, I would actively try to ditch the DIR moniker and all the apparent internet thread reading, non-GUE trained hangers-on that appear to be hurting the legitimacy of the real GUE trained divers.

I agree with Steve (pearldiver) above me. I find myself integrating more parts of the system as I learn more about it. There is not too much difference between the two systems (GUE and NAUI) depending on whom your instructor was. Still, I'm not going to badge myself "DIR" anymore than I badged myself an NTEC diver before I got the training from a qualified NAUI technical instructor. Much of the debate about what is or is not "DIR" appears to be rubbish to me. The GUE lists all its instructors on their web page. I am sure if you have actually received training from one of them and you have a question, then you can email your trainer. I do that with mine all the time. I guess the point is, if you are not a trained diver, then how are you more DIR than anyone else? Because you read things on the internet? Because you try to do what the people who have been trained are doing? They have a word for that in the skateboarding world, they call that a poser.

As I pack my drysuit, regulator with 22" bungeed backup and 7' primary, single web backplate, and other gear into my bag for this morning's dives it occurs to me that my title (self imposed or otherwise) matters very little. The fact that I am going to come back from today's dives with all my fingers and toes is really what matters. If many of you feel that GUE training is the best way for you to do that, then kudos to you, I totally support that. Hell, I'd dive with you guys if any of you lived nearby, provided you would do the same. Well, I'm off to dive Dutch Springs for the millionth time.
they have abandoned it.
take a look at the new halcyon logo

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom