An aside to the Twin Rocks coral vandalism incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finally, even though it is just a photo caption, sun star cebu picked up the photo of the damaged coral last Jan. 30. hopefully we can lobby for more awareness & support :D

chewie:
finally, even though it is just a photo caption, sun star cebu picked up the photo of the damaged coral last Jan. 30. hopefully we can lobby for more awareness & support :D

thats awesome news chewie:) at least they know about it now.

chewie:
yup, will try to ask for other publications to put it out as well... :D

good job, hopefully it will be an entire article instead of just a pic. at least its a small start

hey that's a start. good to see it getting publicity! yeah, how about an article... but that's pretty embarrassing to see if you're K even if its just in a local Cebu newspaper. Most people in Asia would know what language that's in...

there have been reports like this before, but it was just treated as a passing news item. hopefully there would be some real concern from other sectors regarding this incident. (paging solanabezo :))

I wrote an article and it was solicited by a Korean diving magazine. I hope that it does get published. I just do not know what specific diving magazine it was because I e mailed the article through a friend.

As for the Korean resorts here in Mabini, I am continually communication with them but more importantly, with the local dive guides or divemasters who the resorts use.

I feel that a good solution would be to give the local guides a better chance to be hired by the diving resorts. since they are also stakeholders being from the local community, they not only will they protect their dive sites from irresponsible divers but should carry this into their households like waste management and soil erosion (when they build their houses).

I would like to work with a foundation (ACDI) that will give the guides some sense of worth. Not just a guide who knows how to guide or one who will do anything just to make his guest happy and do it for a "buck". Their priority should be first be safety of the guests then preservation of the marine environment and then monetary.

In order to accomplish this, I see the need for personality development for the dive guides. Etiquette for one. Maybe even languages like Korean, Japanese, Mandarin. The diving part is easy. Personality development would really give the guides a chance in uplifting themselves financially (I was hoping that the funds raised from the Mad about Us could finance some of these projects for the local guides). With this help, the foreign divers will not need to bring their own guides because we can speak their language. This is one reason why Cebu got to be famous with Japanese in the 1980's. Staff in the resorts could speak Japanese. Then a few of them might even be instructors who can conduct classes here in Mabini so that walk in guests can take the courses here instead of having to go to Manila. What happens in most dive areas in the Philippines (PG, Cebu, Bohol, Malapascua, Palawan, etc.) is open water classes are conducted in these areas.

The only downside would be that they are again hired to work abroad.

I must admit, a lot still has to be done here in Mabini and Tingloy. We still have to place the buoys in Tingloy (the sinkers are ready and the buoys and rope are in Solana. We just need to make sure that someone will be responsible for watching over them when we deploy them), conduct fish counts, prevent soil erosion, control wastes, etc., etc., etc. Rest assured, the private sector together with the NGO's and the LGU's are trying to accomplish what we can with the resources (from users fee) and WILL available to see to it that the resource is not abused.

What I want to hear also if I may ask PPD is, "How you can help the Mabini and Tingloy community aside from paying the users fee?" A small thing goes a long way.

Tell me which Korean magazine picks up the article you wrote. I will get a copy and read it to see how they tell the story. I have passed that picture to every Korean diver I know and they are ashamed. They know (by their written language) that others will identify ALL Koreans as the culprit. If they come to our house they need to behave, spend their money, then go home. We don't need their souvenirs!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom