Amistad National Recreation Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I leave for Chicago on the 20th and return after the 1st January. So for me, January works well.I also leave 29th of January for Cancun. Otherwise, I am in.

January 4-6 works perfectly for me. The weekend of the 19th is out as I'm diving the TX Clipper that weekend...weather permitting.

I'm not interested in shallow dives only. If I drive that far to dive I'm going to want to do a couple of deeper technical dives. The cave is out of my comfort zone, but I wouldn't mind seeing it and maybe peeking in, but that's it. I wouldn't go far enough to be out of sight of the entrance. I'd like to be able to find some submerged ranch houses or the church. It sounds like there's quite a few submerged structures of various types.

Shawn did a little research into boat rental. It sounds like we have a range of options there, including a boat we can actually live on for a few days. It would cost more, but save us hotel at the same time. Probably just a matter of preference in the end. Me...I'm happy with enough room to lay down...bed, bunk, floor, ground, whatever. It all works for me. I don't mind roughing it.

I'm up for doing a couple deco dives within the 120-150 ft range depending on temperature at depth, access to deco gas, and the buddy situation.

I can deal with 50 degree water for about 45 - 60 minutes with my current undergarment setup. Below that I don't really have the proper undergarments. (I did 42 degrees a couple weeks ago and was only able to stand 30 minutes in the water...)

The nearest LDS that will fill 50% for me is two hours away and I would need to take an AL80 down there to have them fill it. I could probably drop it off down there and hang out with some friends for a day and pick it up on the way to Del Rio as it would be on the way.

I will probably dive air for the weekend for back gas and if the shops will fill my doubles then I would be good to go... If we do a couple deco dives on that Saturday we could probably start off with a shallower dive to get used to each others quirks in the water and plan a couple deco dives after that. It would be very cool to check out any submerged houses... Hopefully we can figure out where they are at.

I'll also chip in on a rental boat to get to various sites. :)

For other activities, you can always go to Acuna, Mexico if you are into that border-town kind of thing. You can get into as much trouble as you want over there.

I know a few reasons to go to Acuna... When you're done diving head on into Mexico where you can get REAL mexican food at Ma Crosby's and have a few drinks at the Corona club. Film buff will realize that El Mariachi and Desperado were both filmed here, and labor day weekend is a world famous bikini contest... 'course this is the wrong time of year for that!

I know a few other places to eat that were even better, but can't remember the names. Last time I went to Crosby's there were three of us, we ate steaks, drank like fish, and basically feasted like kings for 2 1/2 hours, bought shots for the Mariachi's and our tab was still under $50. Gotta love Mexico.

If I'm diving dry by the time of ya'lls trip, count me in. Otherwise have a blast!
I'm especially intrigued by the chuch, town, etc. idea...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom