Amistad National Recreation Area

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kory and I would also be interested. I was born at Laughlin AFB, near Del Rio. I've never seen the area (well, not since I was four.:D) and always wanted to see what it was like. I have no idea if the base is still there or not, but would like to see. Let us know!

Rhonda

Well folks, I was born and raised in Del Rio, and learned to dive in Amistad. They Have an active dive club there also. I go to there site and forums often just to see what the diving conditions are. When are you all thinking about going? I may need a road trip, and you all will need a tour guide. Richard

Here's a several of bits of info I found online this morning:

This is the most interesting info I found...
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project:
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project

Topo Map for the location of Goodenough Springs: untitled

Park Activities at Amistad National Recreation Area

Amistad Scuba Divers
7410 Hwy. 90 W.,
Del Rio, TX 78840​
Phone: (830) 775-0878

Dive Training Magazine: amistad page

Amistad Scuba - Del Rio, Texas, Dive Shop

Texas Diver

Lake Amistad Trip Report - Houston Underwater Mariners

Here's a several of bits of info I found online this morning:

This is the most interesting info I found...
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project:
Goodenough Springs Exploration Project

Great JOB on all the info. Visibility looks AWESOME. I am no cave diver, but would love to dive the lake. Are we going this month?

Shawn O'Shea

I'm no cave diver either...kinda hard to get to caves around here...legally anyway. :eyebrow: I would like to check out some of the sites that were working before the lake was flooded. Besides what might still be at Goodenough Springs, there is another spot on the lake with submerged ranch houses. I also read a story about a submerged church in Texas Monthly awhile back. The water was very low then and the church exposed, but that comes and goes apparently. It sounds to me like there is a lot to see in the lake any way you shake it.

I also sounds like we'll need to rent a boat.

Tex,
I think you have a hit! I have said this before; but Road Trip !

Tex,
I think you have a hit! I have said this before; but Road Trip !

I did not think this many folks would show interest.....everyone has really done a nice job of research and sharing comments/info.....looks like an interesting place with options for most visitors to the area.....'Road Trips' do rock! :)

Well then.... Let's put some dates and numbers to it....

For me, December is out of the question....

In January, classes for me start back up on January 15...

My Days off in January are January 4 - 9 and the 18 - 23. I'd Prefer January 4 - 6. Maybe we could pull off a Friday - Sunday trip?

Also, is anybody up for saving some costs by going in on hotel costs? I'm sure you guys will can car pool in the DFW area... Most likely I would be driving from Amarillo alone.

It also looks like we will have a mix of certification levels. Do we want to do a pure recreational trip or maybe hit a couple deeper sites?

Let's compile a list of who can go and which days would be best:

1. James (amascuba) - January 4 - 6

I spend a lot of time in Del Rio in the fall/winter because I hunt there, but I have never dived Amistad in the winter...too cold for me. I would assume that viz is much improved over the summer. In the summer, best viz is near the hydrilla beds and is maybe 20 feet. There is a scuba cove at Diablo East (part of the Nat'l Park) that is roped off from boat traffic. Access is through stairs from the parking lot, and there are picnic tables and restrooms there. Depth is about 40-50 feet depending on lake level. For most anything else, you will need to rent a boat. I am not aware of anyone running organized trips on the lake, but ask around. The National Parks Service has a visitor's center on Hw 90 before you get to the lake that can provide more info.

I have not been diving in Amistad a lot but can give you some first hand info from a frequent tourist.

The best hotel by far is the Hampton Inn. It is less than 2 years old, and clean. I think that you have to enter the main building to get to all the rooms, so carrying gear into your rooms is more of a hassle than direct access to the parking lot like Days Inn, etc. The Ramada is also ok, but you will not mistake any hotel in Del Rio for the Ritz-Carlton.

Restaurants are limited, unless you like fast food. I like Wright's Steakhouse and Cripple Creek Restautant. Both are Texas-style casual dining and are good (order chicken fried steak). They both are on Hw 90 between Amistad and town. Sirloin Stockade is buffet style akin to Golden Corral. Contrary to what you might think, I have not found a good Mexican restaurant this side of the border.

There are 2 dive shops in town that I know of. One is called Amistad Divers and it is located in the same building as the propane dealership on Veteran's Blvd west of town. It has a limited selection of gear, and I am sure they can fill tanks. There is also another place that is new that flies a dive flag out front (also on Veteran's Blvd) but I have not been in there and don't know the name. Best bet is to call one of them for further info on diving. Check the Chamber of Commerce web site, also.

For other activities, you can always go to Acuna, Mexico if you are into that border-town kind of thing. You can get into as much trouble as you want over there. The winery is also a good way to spend some time. Also, Seminole Canyon state park is west of Del Rio and has some desert hiking with nice views of the Rio Grande and old indian cave paintings.

Overall, Del Rio/Amistad is a nice place to spend some time, and they have some of the biggest bass in the state if you like to fish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom