Ambergris Caye in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverZ

Reaction score
I'm off to Ambergris Caye in November. I'd love to hear from anyone who can offer advise about best dive sites, weather and water temp info, etc. Thanks.

I was there last month and had a great time. Stayed at Playa Blanca and went diveing with Gaz Coopers group. Had a great time and I would highly recommend Gaz and his hotel. I though the best dives were Love Tunnels, Avolon Canyons and Mexico Rocks. Also had a great time on a night dive around the Ho Chen Cut. Great weather and great advice and service from Gaz Cooper.

We had a wonderful trip. have lots of fun. It is a great Island. Everyone is friendly and it is easy to get around.

I was with my sons and a group from church, so I can not help you out on the night life question. Carl and Big Back, who work for Gaz, seem to be very much in touch with the night life.

Only problem we had was a little argument with a Nurse shark at Shark Ray Alley. Hand isnt back to normal yet, but the doc says it should be ok. But in case anyone was wondering ... nurse sharks do have teeth.

Bottom line is we had a great time. You will too. Have fun. say hello to Gaz if you see him. We are looking to go back next year.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you had a great time. Does anyone know anything good or bad about the Sunbreeze Hotel and the dive operator there?

Hi Kyle

Yes I heard about your little argument sorry I did not get to see you when you came back with your church group but we enjoyed having you guys around, HOWare the boys ??

If your coming back next year I will certianly be looking forward to showing you some more of what we have here.

Alan

Sunbreeze is a Motel style Hotel located in San Pedro Town and is considered good value for what it offers which is basic accomodations clean comfrtable and they have a nice pool and restaurant on site and everything within walking distance.

The dive operator onsite is Aqua Dives and I see positive comments about them on the message board circuit however they do handle LOTS of divers and depending on time of year you could have lots of company on the boat, if you don't mind that I think they would be fine for you.

feel free to ask any other questions I will certianly answer them for you if I can

Hi Alan

Forgot to answer your other questions

I noticed you are single so I do reccomend staying at one of the hotels in town Sunbreeze would be perfect for you and if you want to save a little extra money ask for the non ocean view rooms that are down a little corridor they only have 2 and wait until the hotel is full before renting those out.

Nothing wrong with them they are identical to al the other rooms except instead of walking out of your room and immediately seeing the sea you have to take 5 steps.

If it were me I would snap that one up especially if i was going on my own send them an e-mail and ask about a regular rate for a regular room for a single then follow that up with requesting the other room for a lower price.

Nightlife

There are 2 night clubs on the island

Jaguars and Barefoot Iguana during November they will be busiest on fri saturday nights but do have attractions in the week also including mudwrestling etc

As kyle said my boys can tell you more about that

Great place for a drink and a great Pizza is Sharks Bar located just a few minutes walk from the sunbreeze thats where to check out before the night clubs start filling up (about 11pm)

Wednesday Nights start off with the Chicken drop at the Pier lounge followed by Beach bar b Que at Holiday Hotel followed
by Ladies night at the Bar on the end of Hustlers dock

And then theres Fido's where they have live music several times a week including weekends before the nightclubs.

I think I have the night stuff covered

Water temperatures and weather

Today we clocked the surface at 83 degrees and at depth was 82 degrees approx 85 feet
expect the same temps in November

November weather should be fair sky and slight breezes all in all Nov stacks up as a good month for Weather here on Ambergris usually.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you

regards

Gaz Cooper

Hey Gaz-

Boys are great. I'll contact you as soon as out plans are more finalized.

Looking forward to a great time...again.

Kyle

Hello Gaz, I'm Andrea. You seem very helpful and I hoped you might answer a few questions for me. Would also love to hear from anyone else who lives on the island and has good info!

I'm 36, am traveling solo, probably going to come for 7-10 days mid-november, and am curious about places to stay and dive shops.

Places to stay:

My priorities are that it has comfortable, ocean-view rooms (super high-end not necessary, though I am aesthetically oriented and like tasteful, not tacky accommodations), is on a beach that is nice for relaxing and reading, is not loud (ESPECIALLY at night).

If there is anything that fits that bill in San Pedro, I'd love to hear about it. If not I'm not adverse to renting a golf cart to have mobility from my peaceful place to stay and more social areas where I might meet other travellers and get into some mischief. :blinking: I am looking into a promotion at Exotic Caye Resort, which I understand is 1/2 mile out of town.

Dive Shops:

I am an advanced diver and I want to go with a shop that has masters/instructors who really know the area well, who DO NOT over-crowd their dives, who don't mix advanced divers with newbies (I get anxious when people get into my space too much while diving), and who are able to recognize a diver's skill level and give them latitude according to what they can handle. (I'm adventurous and LOVE very deep dives with multi-level surfacing to deal with any deco issues) I also appreciate a fun staff who love what they are doing and enjoy having fun with their divers. I'm playful like diving with other playful people. In case I stay at Exotic Caye, any shops that fit this description and do pier pickups would be great to know about, but mostly your top recommendations. WHO DO NOT CROWD THEIR DIVES. :D Ooh, and nitrox. Not an absolute necessity, but I'm considering getting my cert before coming.

Thanks so much for any feedback you can offer!

Andrea
San Francisco Counseling, Psychotherapy San Francisco, Berkeley, CA, California - Andrea Chilton, MFT

Hi Kyle

Yes I heard about your little argument sorry I did not get to see you when you came back with your church group but we enjoyed having you guys around, HOWare the boys ??

If your coming back next year I will certianly be looking forward to showing you some more of what we have here.

Alan

Sunbreeze is a Motel style Hotel located in San Pedro Town and is considered good value for what it offers which is basic accomodations clean comfrtable and they have a nice pool and restaurant on site and everything within walking distance.

The dive operator onsite is Aqua Dives and I see positive comments about them on the message board circuit however they do handle LOTS of divers and depending on time of year you could have lots of company on the boat, if you don't mind that I think they would be fine for you.

feel free to ask any other questions I will certianly answer them for you if I can

Gaz hasn't been around for a couple of years. If I remember right, he left Belize for a motorcycle trip around Asia, suffered a severely broken leg in a crash and has dropped by only a couple of times since.

I'm sure others can chime in, though.

He posted a few months ago. I think he might be on the mainland in Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom