Advice please?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D

dacruz831

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I am a brand new diver just got my open water. I plan on doing some dives before in PVR in a few weeks and a few in Thailand in June.
I want to take a solo trip the 1st week of September byself and do some diving. I have narrowed it down to Curacao and Ambergris Caye.
Ambergris Caye will be easier to get to, but Im worried about weather and being too boring.
Curacao is harder to get to but looks like may be too touristy.

Considering being early September and I wont have buddies to do shore dives with, what should I go for? Can i pay people to be my shore dive buddy LOL?
Thanks so much!!

So I am a brand new diver just got my open water. I plan on doing some dives before in PVR in a few weeks and a few in Thailand in June.
I want to take a solo trip the 1st week of September byself and do some diving. I have narrowed it down to Curacao and Ambergris Caye.
Ambergris Caye will be easier to get to, but Im worried about weather and being too boring.

Considering being early September and I wont have buddies to do shore dives with, what should I go for? Can i pay people to be my shore dive buddy LOL?
Thanks so much!!
I’m moving your post to basic and out of solo, as solo is for buddyless diving, not for solo travelers, but it’s a fair mistake to make.

Thanks so much!!
I would imagine you can pay someone to be your dive buddy. Guides are widely available through dive shops and operators. I have never been to Curacao, only Ambergris Caye, so I cannot give you a comparison between the two. When you say you are worried about Ambergris Caye being "boring," are you referring to the diving or the topside experience?

I would imagine you can pay someone to be your dive buddy. Guides are widely available through dive shops and operators. I have never been to Curacao, only Ambergris Caye, so I cannot give you a comparison between the two. When you say you are worried about Ambergris Caye being "boring," are you referring to the diving or the topside experience?
Hi, thank you so much I mean boring when I'm not diving. Is the Belize area ok in early September ?

September is high risk for a hurricane. Belize often takes a hit during hurricane season. When I went to Ambergris Caye in September 2016, it was just after a category 1 hurricane and the reef was really beat up, the docks were wiped out, and there was a lot infrastructure damage. A category 1 in the U.S. is not as catastrophic as a category 1 in Belize. Anecdotally, the month of September seems to be very active for hurricanes in the Caribbean. Curacao is out of the hurricane belt.

Go to ambergris Caye during the dry season. My wife and I were there for 10 days in February and it was awesome. Farthest thing from boring, especially the diving.

I was married on Ambergris key. Spent 3 weeks there. I was not bored, but I may be an easy keeper.

I was married on Ambergris key. Spent 3 weeks there. I was not bored, but I may be an easy keeper.
You brought your own topside entertainment, Smart. I usually fiddle with my iPad, which is cheaper.

agree about the hurricane season. curacao would be a safer bet as far as weather goes.

we stayed in playa lagun. very quiet. not touristy at all really. but limited access to other things to do.

if you do go and stay in town, you can dive with the dive bus to get in some good shore diving.

You brought your own topside entertainment, Smart. I usually fiddle with my iPad, which is cheaper.
She is underwater entertainment as well, for 22 years.

And I am the expensive one.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom