Ambergris Caye, Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aeolus

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Two friends and I plan to go to Ambergris Caye, Belize from April 16 thru April 24. We are going to stay at Banana Beach Resort and dive with Amigos del Mar. Does anyone have any comments on either of these? Anybody else going to be there during that time frame? How about suggestions on places to eat, since it is not an all inclusive resort. I have heard that Amigos is the best operator on the island. We have already scheduled a trip to the Blue Hole and for the last day, since we can not dive anyway, a snorkel trip to Shark Ray Alley. Any other suggestions for anything? Thanks for your help in this.
:bounce:

I was there October 2003. Stayed up north a bit (didn't like the place but loved the diving!). We did the Blue Hole dive with Amigos. They are top notch group. You'll be happy. And the biggest shop on the caye from what I could tell. You can always get a feel for a shop when all the employees are happy to be working there. :sunny

San Pedro isn't that big of "town" so don't fret about the good dining spots. Ask the DMs and they'll point you in the right direction. The more "local" spots offer more value for the $$. Sorry I can't remember names of the few places we went.

Shark Ray Alley is awesome. We did a dive there and a surface interval. There's a small charge ($5) since it's a protected marine park. Well worth it. If you're not a photographer be sure to take at least a disposable underwater camera -- they go to 15 feet -- and I got some of the best shots ever of rays, sharks, and eels on that surface interval.

Not to be too long winded but I'm going to LightHouse Reef Resort the week after you're there. I've been reading great things and since I loved the diving there - can't wait to get back.

Have fun - oh and Amigos del Mar have the best blue hole t-shirts on the caye in my opinion.

I just returned from Ambergris Caye three weeks ago and got certified with Amigos del Mar. The instructors are excellent and the equipment first rate. I enjoyed my vacation there so much, I extended my stay twice. As for eats, go local. These are my favorite spots:

The Barracks (literally barracks near the park center; ask anyone, they will point you in the right direction)...each one serving a local wrap (chx, steak, etc.) and beans. Great bang for your buck.

Jambel (Jamaican Belize): excellent for spicy island food.

Lilly's (at the end of the Pier from Amigos) for breakfast.

Sunday Afternoon Bbq at BC's...Yum

Also, check out the website: www.ambergriscaye.com. The msg board there is great!

Have fun!

Amigos Del Mar are good people. I work with them on a weekly basis almost. Shark Ray Alley is awesome snorkeling for the reef and the nurse sharks. I run a snorkeling tour there every week from the cruise ship and just be advised that there is a strong current there almost all the time. I was there today and it was very strong. Make sure everyone involved are strong swimmers. Have fun!

Just returned from 7 weeks in Belize. My last week was at Caye Caulker and I did a short trip to Ambergris. The winds were blowing my entire stay so we couldn't cross the reef in our boats to hit the good sites. Hopefully your weather will be better.

Ambergris looked far more exciting and active than Caulker (although I needed a week of real R&R after working 43 days straight on my ship). Friends who stayed there enjoyed it.

I never dove with Amigos, but they were highly recommended by the Belizean dive instructor on our ship.

Dr. Bill

Aeolus:
Greetings All,

Two friends and I plan to go to Ambergris Caye, Belize from April 16 thru April 24. We are going to stay at Banana Beach Resort and dive with Amigos del Mar. Does anyone have any comments on either of these? Anybody else going to be there during that time frame? How about suggestions on places to eat, since it is not an all inclusive resort. I have heard that Amigos is the best operator on the island. We have already scheduled a trip to the Blue Hole and for the last day, since we can not dive anyway, a snorkel trip to Shark Ray Alley. Any other suggestions for anything? Thanks for your help in this.
:bounce:

I just got back from Belize on Wednesday. I stayed at the Banana Beach Resort and it was excellent. The new restaurant at the resort was very good as well (as were most of the restaurants at other resorts; Rico's, Caliente, and the Blue Water Grill are also highly reccomended.). As for diving, we dove with Ambergris divers on the first day as that is who Banana Beach will sign you up with if you don't specify another shop. I was not impressed by their operation and their divemasters looked bored and basically twiddled their thumbs for the whole dive. For the rest of the trip we dove with Amigos del Mar. They were amazing. Tony, our divemaster, was great and knew exactly where to go to see what we wanted to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom