Am I the only one paying for equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, first of all people tell me all kinds of stuff, some of which is accurate.

Walking into an LDS and paying them whatever they put on a price tag will guarentee that you will pay top dollar, and you will pay more than I.

Since I have been diving for a long time and have a lot of gear hanging around, I have the luxury of waiting for the the gear I want at the right price. I have cash sitting in a safe so when a deal comes along I can spring into action. It has also come in handy for a couple of boat trips others had to cancel at the last minute so I reduced their loss.

It also helps reduce costs, and increases safety IMHO, if you work on your own equipment. Evaluating and servicing used gear helps in making those good deals.

Good Luck
Bob

A few basic tips.

1.) People tend to talk about the gear they got a great buy on, not what they paid regular price for. So you get a skewed report.

2.) Some people do network and get 2nd hand gear from trusted friends. Some people are staff at a dive shop & get discounts. So yes, some people do have social networks, business relationships, etc..., that can be helpful. Sometimes doing business with someone you've supported with prior purchases makes a difference.

3.) A LDS might offer a discount on gear purchased when you're taking a course.

4.) Black Friday deals online can be substantial. By history, Oceanic Worldwide AI wrist units selling with the transmitter included free, for example.

5.) Scuba Board's classifieds are a good way to get some cheap stuff. I got a nice set of brand name fins dirt cheap because the owner was instructing for a shop that didn't want him wearing a brand they didn't carry.

6.) Some of the online places have clearance, sale, used, etc...special sections.

7.) For a full gear 'scuba package' setup, often there are bundles at overall reduced cost, that would involve you 'settling' for some part of the bundle that is not what you'd want. Shoot the vendor an e-mail & ask about a substitution you want. Let's say that Oceanic gear package features a non-AI console, and you want a ProPlus 3, or you plan to spring for an Atomic Aquatics Cobalt 3. Ask. See what the price difference would be.

Richard.

Join the Navy and go to Diving School. Problem solved. 😡 just had to add a little humor. But it's true.

Then again there is the alcohol and eBay combination. Woke up hungover several years back with an nagging feeling I had bought something the previous night, checked eBay and found I had bought a MK25 with T2 second for $206. Had them serviced for $65 and a couple hundred dives later I still enjoy diving them.

You need to know the products and know the ordinary prices people are paying for things. Many things are sold for less than commonly advertised price, so it's exactly the normal purchase price you need to know. Like with most things, do your homework and you will see the payoff.

BTW lots of places will have Black Friday sales, some on everything in the shop. You will even see lots of Black Friday sales in Europe (can't imagine why, but it's true).

My local dive shop will clearance out their rental equipment and demo equipment in January every year. I have seen several other shops do the same. It is serviced and almost perfect.....and about 1/2 price. I have found the best prices on Craigslist from people that bought everything new, and found that diving just wasn't for them. I did buy new regulators new for my family, but have come up with extra sets buying complete packages that just the tanks or BCD was worth it and needed up getting regs thrown in. October is when the deals start showing up on Craigslist. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom