Am I spouting nonsense or is DGX being grumpy with me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Other than the ill-advised use of the word "nonsense," if the reply had been to me I would have been tickled pink at how much time and thought DGX put into it. I suspect you replied before you gave yourself a chance to cool off from the offense you took at the word "nonsense." I can empathize how that use of "nonsense" in the first sentence could, in your mind, have negated the rest of DGX's thorough and patient reply. A most unfortunate exchange, due mainly to one single word, it appears to me.

You can just feel the "not this **** again" from the DGX response while trying to be patient and instructive. They don't know you so it's no different than the questions they likely get every other hour from people who are getting a mishmash of advice from youtube and LDS buying their first reg set then asking DGX and also not bothering to read the tek tips or other info on the web pages they have already posted before firing off messages at the hip.

Other than the ill-advised use of the word "nonsense," if the reply had been to me I would have been tickled pink at how much time and thought DGX put into it. I suspect you replied before you gave yourself a chance to cool off from the offense you took at the word "nonsense." I can empathize how that use of "nonsense" in the first sentence could, in your mind, have negated the rest of DGX's thorough and patient reply. A most unfortunate exchange, due mainly to one single word, it appears to me.
I think you have nailed it. I shall send an apology to Mark immediately.

Interpretation is up to the interpreter to misinterpret

Who knows we may still have cool_hardware52 if he were not driven to distraction by nonsense

I think you have nailed it. I shall send an apology to Mark immediately.

I don't think that you need to at all. Mark was a jerk and very impolite. He isn't doing you a selfless favor here, you are a customer with money in your hands ready to buy from HIM but wanted more information. I find your questions very reasonable and shows that you are a "smart" client. The BS from Mark about how things are made in "Asia" is a smartarse jerk uncouth thing to say.

I would have told him to go and f himself if he talks to me like he did to you. They should be a "professional" organization and not belittle their potential clients or shame them just because they "may" have asked a "stupid" question in their view (your questions weren't stupid at all).

I don't think that you need to at all. Mark was a jerk and very impolite. He isn't doing you a selfless favor here, you are a customer with money in your hands ready to buy from HIM but wanted more information. I find your questions very reasonable and shows that you are a "smart" client. The BS from Mark about how things are made in "Asia" is a smartarse jerk uncouth thing to say.

I would have told him to go and f himself if he talks to me like he did to you. They should be a "professional" organization and not belittle their potential clients or shame them just because they "may" have asked a "stupid" question in their view (your questions weren't stupid at all).
OK, I know Mark personally and DGX was my LDS for years. You really need to step off your soap box. I have never made any qualms about Mark not being my favorite person BUT at least I have the common sense to know that his knowledge of what he sells is vast and his patience to explain things (although not always delivered perfectly) is extensive. He is adamant about customer service being first and I have witnessed some of the phone calls taken and the extent that they will go to in order to help potential customers. Non of us are perfect and I really wish you would have considered this before posting. Just the time he invested in his lengthy reply should be evidence of his attempt to help.

So, what regs are you going to get?
Waiting for an answer to see if I can get the DGX Xtra package but with the D6 first as I want a sealed diaphragm. Piecing it together myself increases the cost quite a bit to where I would go with the DiveRite XT1/XT4 if the customization is not possible.

I've used HOG, Dive Rite, Sherwood, Oceanic, and Aqualung under the ice.
Ice Diving is not much different from the bottom of Lake Erie. Temps under the ice will not get colder than 36-38 degrees in fresh water. Salt water may get down to as low as 28-30 depending on salinity and currents.
I wrote the DGX service manuals.
While regs may not be rated by the US Navy or other bodies for "ice" diving, I've seen Aqualung Calypso's being used for it after the IP was reduced to lessen the flow rate. Freezing usually occurs because of the amount of air moving through the reg. First stage or second. Free flows may cause a 1st stage to freeze up in 50 degree water.
The second stage may turn into a block of ice if they start to free flow and the air can't be shut down. Plastic barrel seconds will freeze up quicker than metal ones because metal is a better conductor of heat.
I don't like packages. I 'd rather buy the individual components to meet my needs.
Out of your choices, if I had to get a package, I'd pick the Dive Rite.
Next would be the D6 with XT2 seconds.
I would not consider the XTRA 1st because it's not sealed and I'm not a fan of unsealed piston regs for less than clear fresh water.
I'm also not crazy about the cover on the XTRA 2nd stage. Too many components.
All that said, if were buying a new reg set for backmount it would be the HOG D1s in DIN with Classic Seconds. I serviced hundreds of those over the 12 years I was doing it.
Sidemount? HOG D3 or Deep Six Signature 1sts with the same HOG Classic 2nds.
We regularly register 31-33° on bottom here in fresh water of the St Lawrence River, to include frazzle ice forming on bottom. I dive a MTX myself for these conditions 🥸.

Back
Top Bottom