Am I leaking or sweating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skynscuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a drysuit, not much used, and tried it in my small swimming pool. After maybe 15 minutes, I got out, carefully dried off the bilam suit, so that I could see if any water got in.

The nylon shell of the fleece undergarment I was wearing was quite damp. Mostly on the upper body, more on the back side than the front. but slightly all over. The slick innner surface of the drysuit was slightly wet most everywhere.

As my underwear cuffs and collar were still dry, I'm pretty sure that the neck and wrist seals are not leaking (also have dry
gloves, and liners were dry).

The fleece layer of the undergarment was rather dry, so my question:

Could the source of the moisture just be perspiration? Could the wicking action really take all of my perspiration to the outer nylon layer? Or can a minor leak (seam, valve, zipper?) be wicking along the interface of the nylon undie shell/ suit?

As I've just purchased this suit, I'm trying to figure out whether the condition is as excellent as advertised.

Air and water temperature about 50F.

Thanks,

SkyNscuba

I would say almost certainly sweating....

When I used to dive in the UK the walk from the middle car park at Stony to the water even with ice on the ground would leave me with that water trickle feeling going down my back...

Welcome aboard by the way

Jonathan

If it was sweat then the inside of your underwear would be wet, but I beleive I read that the inner surface of the suit and the outside of the underwear was damp. I believe your moisture is condensation. When you got into the water then any moisture (including sweat) will wick its way and collect on the coolest surface.
I could be wrong and there are more knowledgable folks than me on this board that may disagree. But this is my story and I'm stickin' to it.

If you were leaking it would be more of wet spots contained in specific areas has been my experience with my old Oneill. All over dampness seems to lend to the condensation theory. When I dive dry in cave country my polypro long underwear is dampish and sometimes the nylon outershell of my 200G is dampish ever so slightly. My wrist seals leak when I cave due to having slender wrists and flexing hands working reels, etc...at those times my sleeves will be damp from cuff about half way up to elbow and is very obviously different than a sweat or condensation issue.

BTW, I've solved my leaking wrist seal issue while caving with the help of Dick Long. Almost nonexistant now.

If you still have concerns about leaks you could send your suit to Superior Drysuit Repair and have it pressure tested. They do great work.

Don’t sweat it, it’s just sweat.
Oh yah and welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England USA.

Back
Top Bottom