Am I getting taken here?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverrick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After I had some trouble with me regs on our last trip due to the crew handling them incorretly, I took my stuff to our LDS ( yes I try to support them "at times"). to get a good through and through on them. Now, mind you they are Dacor, so I know there might be some issues with parts availability, but as long as I only need o-rings and seals I should be ok for a few more years. Now comes the rub. The LDS called me back and told me that they would have to send it out and that it would cost 85.00 plus parts to get it overhauled! I just received a flyer from another LDS that is about an hour away and they are overhauling for 18.00 per Reg. I, like the fool I am, agreed to continue with the first LDS, I am starting to wonder why they had to send it out, when they do in shop overhauls as a norm, and why are they charging so much. I asked if there was a problem with the regs, and they said they didn't even open them up, so I might have to go ask about all of this. Don't get me wrong, I am not interested in having a "cheap" overhaul done, but 85.00 + parts seems a bit steep. What do you think. Maybe I should get into the Reg overhaul business? After a couple of overhauls like this It would be cheaper to buy new regs, though I love my old reg.

$85 is pricy. Dacor service and parts is getting harder and harder to come by - even at Dacor dealers. I don't know of any shops that will overhaul a full rig (first, primary, octo, spg) for $18 and would be more concerned about that dealer than your shop that had the guts and integrity to fess up that they aren't qualified to do the work and send it to someone they trust.

Two thoughts:
  • How long will it be before you let somebody "help" you with your gear again?
  • Start looking for a new regulator. Now. Mares bought Dacor to put them out of business and the plan is on schedule.

As to getting into the regulator repair business, yoikes! :D

I really normally don't let the Dive ops help with my gear, but this outfit insisted that they move all the gear from the boat and set it all up, even after I asked about it. I chose to let them move my gear, but I them went back and rechecked that everything was correct before I went in. Problem arose when they somehow got a grain of sand into the Primary, which stuck the seat open. I had to do a field tear down, which really upset the Dive op BTW. after I did that it worked ok, but I felt like it was passing salt water, hence the Overhul.
Point two, I have been looking today for which one to replace it with, when that day comes. I really like my reg for numerous reasons, so I guess I'll have to try a few of they others out before I take the fall. Good point about the LDS having the nerve to fess up about their abilities. I had not thought about it that way.

I never would let any deck ape touch my gear for any reason except helping me put it on. After all it is my life support equiptment and my life.

captain:
I never would let any deck ape touch my gear for any reason except helping me put it on. After all it is my life support equiptment and my life.
Can we get some fries to go with this vinegar? Not that I disagree, but I don't like anyone setting up my gear. Including wheel-house monkeys. :D

I'm not sure of what all constituted "all my stuff" that you took into your LDS. I do know that where I am, a service for a reg (1st and 2nd), octo, and computer costs $60 plus parts. I don't think $85 sounds out of line. Still less than a tune-up on a car! :wink:

I don't know what any one else wants to make for their time but when I had a shop (a year and half ago we charged $75 labor to rebuild a first and second stage) but...I actually don't remember if that was a first and one or two seconds. LOL it's working, the memory of it all is fading!

Is the dive industry getting sort of over bearing or what...boat oporators insisting on handling your equipment and getting upset about you working on your own stuff. WOW! The boats I dive on carry plenty of tools just so you can do a quick repair without every one having to carry their own tools.

If some one were to be bothered by me working on my equipment it would be best if they spoke not. LOL

$85 sounds about right for a first and second stage, although if they're just going to "send it out", you could do the same thing.

I'm all for using local dealers (I really like mine), but there isn't much point in bringing in something they can't service just so they can send it somewhere else.

I'd be really worried about the $18 quote. If you're lucky, they're just lowballing you and will do a good job and charge you for "extra" parts and labor they "discovered" that it needed.

If you're not lucky, they'll do $18 worth of work and give you back your stuff snd tell you it's all set.

Terry

diverrick:
After I had some trouble with me regs on our last trip due to the crew handling them incorretly, I took my stuff to our LDS ( yes I try to support them "at times"). to get a good through and through on them. Now, mind you they are Dacor, so I know there might be some issues with

captain:
the CAPTAIN is right on target ...... I never let the boat crews touch my gear unless they are helping me get back on the boat by taking my fins. I get a few jokes about all the "old" gear I own ..... it may be old but it still works great. I own and use a Scubapro MK10 that is over 12 years old and still looks almost new. My wife and kids use Dacor Model 360 regualators that are in excellent shape also. Just had the yearly done on them and it cost me $40 each including the octs. I think it's funny that many of the newer Dacor regulators made in the last few years you can't find parts but the stuff from the 70's and early 80's the parts can be interchange with a lot of U.S.D. or Scubapro models. I started a thread about what I thought about Dacor and it's not too nice .......... "Dumped on by diving companies again" .... www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html .... other threads about dacor regulators are 37606 and 76627 if you are interested .....

Rule #1 ... oops sorry that one is already taken.

Rule #2 nobody touches my gear.

The only exception to Rule #2 for me is the technician at the dive shop. I envy MikeF and others who are able to work on their own gear.

The nice thing about ScubaPro is that parts are free for life.

If you have found a good dive shop, then they do all their work on-site and nothing gets "sent out" except tank hydros.

$75 is typical for repair of a regulator. When you get the parts bill in addition, you may wish you had bought ScubaPro. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom