Am I Being Conned???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

camerons

Registered
Reaction score
My local dive shop has changed 3 tank valves of mine over the last year saying they did not pass some test. I have 4 tanks from different manufactures bought in england. They are only 2.5 years old and have only done about 20 dives!!!! Apparently they failed on some 3/8th test with the threads. Am i getting conned? How long should a tank valve last? Thanks, rally appreciate some help on this.

Well I don't know about threads being a problem, but a lot of tanks in Europe (most of them I think) don't use burst disks in the valve, which is illegal in North America. You don't mention where you are currently, but that could be the case.

Jim

My local dive shop has changed 3 tank valves of mine over the last year saying they did not pass some test. I have 4 tanks from different manufactures bought in england. They are only 2.5 years old and have only done about 20 dives!!!! Apparently they failed on some 3/8th test with the threads. Am i getting conned? How long should a tank valve last? Thanks, rally appreciate some help on this.
OK, this is unusual. The VALVES failed, not the tank NECK THREADS?
At first, I was wondering about eddy current testing on the tank, but that didn't seem to follow from the description of the valve being replaced. When I inspect a tank, I also visually inspect the valves - primarily the threading. But, unless there has been significiant mechanical 'trauma' to a valve, it is pretty robust. Be intersted in what others post.

OK so I have seen at least 2 different replies to this thread and each one has disappeared . . . .

EDIT: And now all the posts are back . . must be some kind of time warp going on . . .

My guess is that they got axed because of a lack of burst disks, as Jimmer suggests, and that there was a mis-communication. I still have an old J valve that works fine after 25 plus years.

The valve needs to have a burst disk. The disk size might be 3/8 of an inch, which might be what you heard.

Other than that, you might want to give them a call and have them explain exactly what they're talking about.

Terry

Its got nothing to do with the burst disks. I am in scotland and as long as the valve has the ce European stamp of approval its ok. they are saying that its a problem with the threadt where the 1st stges goes in. Oh and the inserts dont get taken out as we are not using din tanks.

Well I can say I'm honestly stumped. Did they give you back the valves? They are still your property I'd want them back, post some pictures and see if anyone else here can see what they see.

Its got nothing to do with the burst disks. I am in scotland and as long as the valve has the ce European stamp of approval its ok. they are saying that its a problem with the threadt where the 1st stges goes in. Oh and the inserts dont get taken out as we are not using din tanks.

I would guess the an incorrect thread pitch or mismatched threads was used on the din adapter. If you have imperial (uk) thread pitch and install american this is dangerous and can misshape the treads (this is what i have read on-line) In pratice I do this all the time and the reason is that there is no real danger as the yoke is holding everyhing in place. As long as

If you filled in the rest of your profile and I know where you were from it would be easier to answer...

ps-welcome to the board.

Back
Top Bottom