Am I being a wimp about these dive plans, or is this how you become a better diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep you’re being a wimp, have a bit of faith. Surely your husband isn’t going to put you in any danger? He definitely knows you better than a bunch of strangers. Unless of course he’s trying to get rid of you.

Yep you’re being a wimp, have a bit of faith. Surely your husband isn’t going to put you in any danger? He definitely knows you better than a bunch of strangers. Unless of course he’s trying to get rid of you.

Are you kidding me? Sounds like you’re not a fan of “you can call a dive at any time for any reason.” How many buddies have you pressured to do dives they didn’t feel comfortable doing? Or do you just pressure newbie women divers online?

Are you kidding me? Sounds like you’re not a fan of “you can call a dive at any time for any reason.” How many buddies have you pressured to do dives they didn’t feel comfortable doing? Or do you just pressure newbie women divers online?
I think it's a joke. :) Sarcasm

None, and please keep your female chauvinist comments to yourself.

There were no emoticons or anything else to indicate it was sarcasm. I’ve seen enough IRL situations of women getting pressured to do dives they didn’t want to by the guy in their life.
I can assure you Marie I’ve never made a gender based diving decision in my life, I have to many women in my life to make that fatal mistake.

I did a search for "Is [Dive 3] an overhead environment," and one site referred to it as a "benign" overhead environment, while the PADI summary doesn't refer to it being a cave/overhead at all and says it's okay for all experience levels.
As I have reported in these pages in the past, I had a long discussion with PADI headquarters about overhead environments a few years ago, resulting in some changing in the language in some courses and (supposedly) some changes in future courses.

The bottom line is that if you enter what we would call an overhead at one point, swim through, and exit at another point, PADI does not consider it to be an overhead, even though the English language as we know it means something different in what we read in the courses. In fact, it is even permissible to do such a dive during OW certification. I was told that the fact that all over the world PADI dive operations lead OW divers through such swim-throughs proves that this is well understood.

Should you do it? The new language they are gradually starting to use says it is up to your judgment as to whether or not your own training and experience is suited to the task. If you don't feel comfortable doing it, don't do it.

@twostringsandawheel , it's possible you haven't heard of the saying @Marie13 referred to above, which (in my preferred choice of phrasing) is "Any diver can call any dive at any time for any reason without being questioned." This saying has its roots in technical diving--that is, diving beyond the limits of OW, AOW, etc., where the stakes are higher--but many divers nowadays believe it's worth adhering to in the recreational diving realm as well. My wife and I do some technical diving, but we adhere to that "golden rule" across all our diving. There have been times when one of us decided at the last minute not to proceed with a dive, either once we reached depth, or even before we splashed. When the dive is thumbed by one diver, the buddy returns the thumb, the dive ends, and that's the end of the story. There are no questions asked, either on the spot or back on the surface. Sometimes, the diver who called the dive is happy to talk about it, but sometimes the diver may not feel like talking about it. Any reason or no reason at all is good enough. Maybe the diver just wasn't feelin' it that day. Unless the diver who called the dive brings it up for discussion, the reasoning is not up for discussion. Many of us really do think of this as the golden rule of diving.

None of us here know what you're feeling right now, and even you don't know what you will be feeling on these dives if you decide to go ahead with them. But perhaps keep the golden rule in mind.

Don’t do the dives if you don’t want to. It’s a big difference going from a 52ft dive to a 100ft one. And definitely no for the overhead. Have you considered doing AOW on this trip?

EDIT: your husband has done cave dives? Cenotes in MX?

Sounds like he’s trying to pressure you into doing the dives. No means no!
I pretty much agree. Of course don't do those dives if you're uncomfortable. The 100'-- That is a big difference and you use up air really fast down there. Now, my first boat dive was to 78' when I was OW cert. -- that went OK except when my "expert" buddy (husband of the NAUI instructor on board doing an AOW course) left me alone to scoot away and go after 3 lobsters.
The overhead-- as John points out that's a judgement call. I have done no overheads except during the wreck penetration in the Wreck course. I would think that the possible amount of silt in there would be a factor as to whether you should do it or not. You'd have to ask the crew about that.

First, to the OP...thank you for the post. It's a great topic and it appears that there is a general agreement on the answer (that's a rarity, right?) Next, as I agree with everyone else, I won't waste time chiming in but offer only a brief observation which will be valid AFTER you increase your experience and comfort level. I've done wreck dives and I'll use the Hilma Hooker in Bonaire and the Yukon in San Diego as examples. Both are in about 100ft of water but the similarities end there. Water temp, clarity, ocean surge etc. There are divers who would feel completely comfortable diving the Hilma Hooker and yet be way out of their element on the Yukon. There are many variables that should go into making YOUR decision. Again, thanks for the post...continue your quest for knowledge and experience...it's a wonderful hobby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom