Always looking for improvement...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Casarez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Since getting certified I have taken the advice of my instructors to heart and concentrated on just getting wet once I completed my NAUI AOW and Nitrox in 2008. In 2010 I did my Rescue Diver course along with the requisite FA/CPR/DAN etc. I then went back to concentrating on trying to get out and dive.

While I was not able to dive as often as many on the board after my last trip I finally broke the century mark at 110 dives. A small amount I am sure to some but still a milestone. I feel I am an experienced diver and also feel there are still areas I can improve on. This leads me to the purpose of my post: I would like to do some more training now and am trying to figure out which direction to go to work on improving my skill set (Fin kicks, precision trim, etc). I am not interested in going the DM/Instructor route.

I would love to attend an AAUS 100-hour course or the LA County Advanced Diver course but I am not able to find one close to me (If I am wrong on the AAUS someone please let me know). I have had GUE Primer/Fundies recommended to me, as well as NAUI Master Diver, NAUI Intro to Tech, and one person even suggested SDI Solo Diver. Other than diving Millbrook alone I am not sure what else SDI Solo Diver covers and do not know anyone who has gone through it.

So I am opening it up for suggestions and ideas from everyone.

Where do you typically dive? You might consider trying to hook up with some of the DNY (Dive New York) forum folks here on SB. They do a lot of diving at Dutch Springs, and a lot of them have technical and/or cave training. You can get some mentoring, and perhaps some guidance on what to do, class-wise.

Another option in that area that would intrigue me, would be signing up for some "dive coaching" with Trace Malinowski. Trace posts here on SB, and I've liked much of what he has written. I do know that ScubaFeend has done some training with him, so you could PM him and see what he thinks of the idea.

Heading south, you could think about doing a cavern class, which is a class that strongly refines skills.

I always recommend GUE Fundamentals/Primer, but for you, the logistics might be a bit difficult.

Where do you typically dive?

Warm Caribbean waters mostly. Locally occasionally but now that I finally invested in proper gear I should be doing more local diving.

You might consider trying to hook up with some of the DNY (Dive New York) forum folks here on SB. They do a lot of diving at Dutch Springs, and a lot of them have technical and/or cave training. You can get some mentoring, and perhaps some guidance on what to do, class-wise.

Another option in that area that would intrigue me, would be signing up for some "dive coaching" with Trace Malinowski. Trace posts here on SB, and I've liked much of what he has written. I do know that ScubaFeend has done some training with him, so you could PM him and see what he thinks of the idea.

Interesting concept for sure. I will look into this for myself and a few friends who want to improve skills but are intimidated by Tech looking classes.

Heading south, you could think about doing a cavern class, which is a class that strongly refines skills.

I always recommend GUE Fundamentals/Primer, but for you, the logistics might be a bit difficult.

I have been eyeballing it for sure and a friend I have dove with, katepnatl, is also recommending it to me.

Edited to add: I should mention that taking time off to attend a class is not out of the question. Kate has recommended a good GUE-F instructor in FL and going there is not out of the question.

Last edited:
So no one else? Guess everyone is off diving. :)

DUH!

I'd be out diving if work didn't get in the way.

As to the orgional question, I'd take the NAUI Master Diver and keep my eyes open to see if DM would work. Personally, I never was interested in DM but understanding more about diving isn't bad and something along the way may point out a goal you find worthwhile.

Good luck and good diving

Bob
----------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

GUE Fundies or Primer, or travel to Florida or Mexico for a Cavern class. (The caverns in Mexico will blow your mind!)

i would definitely recommend some form of penetration training - caves or wrecks - does wonders for your finning technique and buoyancy control as well as increasing the amount of "work" that you have to do under the water... laying line, etc... which is part and parcel of increasing your comfort zone and a great help

For those suggesting cave diving would GUE-F be a good prep course for that?

ABSOLUTELY!

I've told this story before . . . but when I did my Cavern and Intro classes, Peter and I had a classmate. The two of us had done Fundies, but if I recall correctly, we didn't have our tech passes yet. Nonetheless, we had been working on buoyancy control, good trim, and practicing emergency procedures for the better part of two years. Our classmate had not taken a preparatory class like Fundies, and had switched to double tanks for our course.

He had a lot of trouble. He didn't have his trim dialed in, and so whenever he was task loaded, things got worse. He hadn't practiced no-mask work, and what finally did him in was the 25 yard no-mask buddy swim, which he simply couldn't complete.

It would have been unbelievably frustrating for me, to have made a trip to Mexico to take a class, and be unable to complete it because of my lack of facility with skills I could have learned and practiced in open water at home.

I am a firm believer in only learning in a cave what you have to learn in a cave. Anything you can learn in open water and practice at home, will make your cave classes easier -- and you will practice more, because you don't have to make a trip somewhere to do so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom