Aluminum bigger than 80?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm guessing there is probably a thread that mentions this, but I'm apparently not very good at the search function (is there any way to skip to the page in a very long thread that actually has the key words you searched? Sorry, another topic, I know...)

Anyway, I was wondering if aluminum tanks come in any larger size than 80 or is that just too much pressure for aluminum to handle and only steel comes larger in the 100 and 120?

Aluminum 100s are fairly common and even some old 92 (watch the type metal) can be found but they are bigger and heavier than many steel HP 100. If you need a bit more than and Al80 give you, take a serious look at HP100 options. The HP 100s also have more desirable buoyancy characteristics for most divers.

Compton384,

I agree with awap. There are AL100 cylinders but they are a beast of a package. If you are needing more than 80 CF from a single cylinder it's time to start looking at steel. In the end you will be lighter on your feet and glad for it. The HP steels are especially efficient.

Pete

Also, if you let us know what problem you're trying to solve with the AL100, we might be able to suggest better alternatives.

I hate AL100s. To me they have every bad quality; heavy, bulky, and floaty. I'd never buy one.

I'm looking for longer dives in a shallow lake. We don't have fills nearby, so I'd like to get as much as possible. We just got new BCs (our first) and do not want to get into purchasing a setup for doubles.

Back
Top Bottom