Aluminum 80 Cost - Is this reasonable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

staticcornflake

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hey Everyone:

My LDS sells 80's for $200+tax each, which includes VIP and 1 year of free fills.
Alternativly, I could order one from ScubaToys for $124 with tax and shipping still being less than my LDS. Some potential problems are:

1. Even if Scubatoys does a VIP and takes off the valve, an dplugs it up, my LDS will still require another VIP for $20.

2. My LDS charges $7 a fill if you don't buy from them.

At first it seems obvious that the free air would more than pay for itself, but after a year I'll be paying $7/fill anyway.

What do you think I should do? Any advice would be great!

Find an LDS with better air prices. Where I am the going rate is $5 -- Joisey air must be "special" :)

World Watersports in FL charges $120 for an AL 80 and Fills are $2.

1) how many dives/yr do you do? 10 refills = $70 + $124 makes it a wash. 11+ dives the first year the free fills starts becoming better. If you do 20 Sunday dives, you have paid the LDS $140.

2) are you sure the LDS will require another VIP? Verify that by asking them. There is no legal requirement, it is just "standard" procedure to do a VIP on an empty tank.

I live in Texas during the school year and Jersey during the summer. I suppose I could buy an 80 for less in NJ, but when I dive the rest of the year in TX(whose prices are quoted above), I would need to get it to Texas first, which would involve taking off the valve and going through a VIP and rip-off fills. There are 2 LDS's within 30 minutes of my house, bother of which are owned and operated by the same guy. Pretty much a monopoly.

staticcornflake:
Hey Everyone:

My LDS sells 80's for $200+tax each, which includes VIP and 1 year of free fills.
Alternativly, I could order one from ScubaToys for $124 with tax and shipping still being less than my LDS. Some potential problems are:

1. Even if Scubatoys does a VIP and takes off the valve, an dplugs it up, my LDS will still require another VIP for $20.

2. My LDS charges $7 a fill if you don't buy from them.

At first it seems obvious that the free air would more than pay for itself, but after a year I'll be paying $7/fill anyway.

What do you think I should do? Any advice would be great!

The LDS I work at part time charges $139 per tank with 10 free fills. After that it charges by the lb for fills (regardless of where you bought it.) Even a tank that's completely empty only costs $4 to fill. Hell, we were selling PST steel tanks for $169 with the same 10 free fills.
Look around, you can do better.
C-Dawg

All of his prices are on the high side (is the shop in SA or NJ?) but if you can take advantage of the free fills for a year it works out to a good buy. Then go looking for more reasonably priced fills.

MikeC:
are you sure the LDS will require another VIP? Verify that by asking them. There is no legal requirement, it is just "standard" procedure to do a VIP on an empty tank.

They said they will not fill without a VIP, and that one must be done WHENEVER the valve is removed, even if it is dry-plugged. I dive every other weekend, 2 dives each Sat & Sun, so I actually will need to buy 2 tanks, becuase the dive sites here are nowhere near compressors.

****AWAP: The shop is in San Antonio, and if I go to the next closest LDS I will be spending more on fuel than the difference of the fills.

howarde:
World Watersports in FL charges $120 for an AL 80 and Fills are $2.

World Water's fill prices are great. We'll never see that in N.E.

rapidiver:
World Water's fill prices are great. We'll never see that in N.E.
The LDS I work at part time has good prices. They charge by the lb, so if you cut a dive short or do a shallow dive and just need it topped off, it costs next to nothing. To fill a tanks thats almost completely empty costs around $4.
C-Dawg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom