alternatives to knives for escaping monofilament?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a small ti-knife on my BP&W waistband. Saw a demo of the EEzycut recently and absolutely sold on it. This'll be added as soon as I can source one where I live.

Get in touch with Wayne at Diveseekers. He'll hook you up.

Good advice given so far, and I'd have to state that the EMT Shears are my preferred choice.

There's not much for me to get tangled on where I dive EXCEPT for monofilament line, so they're tried and tested! As previously posted, you'll have less trouble with them at airports if travelling, and I also find that they're the easiest cutting tool to operate single-handed, you don't have to tension whatever you're cutting first, they're cheap, and they'll cut through pretty much anything - including a webbing harness, if you are unfortunate enough to find yourself in a situation where that's necessary.

Every diver and every dive is different - but, for me and the diving I do, I find a knife is fairly useless compared to Shears - and, there's always the risk of accidentally cutting whoever you're attempting to free, making a stressful situation worse! If you really need a blade, then perhaps consider one of these as the 'best of both worlds'... in my opinion, products like that and the Eezycut mentioned previously are far safer and more practical options.

Benchmade makes great emergency cutting tools. If you're looking at rescue hooks, consider Benchmade's 7 Hook H2O. It's made from corrosion resistant X15-TN, and designed specifically for salt water applications.

It's more expensive than their standard 440C steel, but it will last forever and stay sharp until you use it.

-Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom