Already Hooked on Diving! Tacoma, WA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lexi

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone!

I'm an extremely newly diver (I actually will complete my last two open water certification dives tomorrow, so not exactly certified yet), but I love it already!!

I'm totally hooked and looking for dive buddies in my area (Tacoma, WA, USA) to dive with on May 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and/or 4th. I will also be in Maui, Hawaii from the 8-18th and would love to meet anyone there to dive with as well. I also hope to learn as much as I can from you more experienced divers on this forum. :)

Cheers!

Lexi

Congrats!
there are many fun videos of the North West Diving with the large Sea Lions and tiny Nudibranchs. I hope you find great critters!

Congrats!
there are many fun videos of the North West Diving with the large Sea Lions and tiny Nudibranchs. I hope you find great critters!

Thanks Francesea! I heard we have some awesome aquatic life. I'm super excited to check it out.

Congratulations and welcome! Enjoy NW diving and Hawaii. Hopefully, you are not emotionally attached to money. Scuba and healthy savings accounts are mutually exclusive.

Congratulations and welcome! Enjoy NW diving and Hawaii. Hopefully, you are not emotionally attached to money. Scuba and healthy savings accounts are mutually exclusive.
Yeah....I'm starting to see that already. Luckily I value experiences more than "stuff", and so far it's been worth it :). Does scuba become less expensive as you dive more though? You don't have to buy your gear very often, you don't have to do as many guided dives or training courses as you gain experience, etc.

It's hard to calculate but I'd say your characterization of guided dives is accurate. You will eventually find trustworthy and reliable buddies to dive with. Maybe even one that owns a boat. Training, on the other hand... your account balance is the limit. Scubaboard knowledge is free, though. :)

There are many benefits to owning the gear you dive with but dive gear is expensive. If you only dive a couple of times a year during vacations, renting is fine. But if you dive more frequently, you will eventually run across faulty, damaged, or inadequate rental gear. That will make you want to buy your own. You will want your own exposure protection, a BC that fits perfectly every time, a reliable dive computer, and if you are into photography a camera rig, et cetera. You are then taking on the costs for care, inspection, and proper servicing of all that gear. The number of dives before you break even depends on a lot of factors. You'll need to dive frequently to break even or learn how to service your own equipment.

But no need to worry about all that right now. Enjoy diving and reach out to the great folks here if you need any advice or recommendations.

You don't have to buy your gear very often,

Welcome, congrats, and I would agree that you don't have to but it just seems to happen that way.

Hi and welcome!

Lots of PNW divers on here including @NWGratefulDiver , @filmguy123 , @wetb4igetinthewater just off the top of my head.

Have fun, dive safe and knowledge is free if you know where to look. The fact that we are having this conversation means you do :wink:

Hi Lexi, welcome to diving in the PNW!

There are great groups of people that you can find to dive with around here.

I have a 14 year old diver (she turns 15 this month) whom I'm certified last month and I'm trying to help her establish a "sisterhood of diving." I'm working on setting up a fun dive with her and at least the (co?) owner of the Ocean Quest and her daughter (around 16 or so) who is also is at least a GUE fundies diver (probably the youngest person to have earned that level of certification).

We'll probably be diving at Redondo Beach the first weekend of June. I know that is a ways off, but PM me if you want me to send you the specifics once we get that all planned out.

howdy and welcome from southeast florida....you have already made some friends ....enjoy the underwater world.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom