Allegro Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WicketsMom

Contributor
Reaction score
We're going to Cozumel in September and are tentatively planning to stay at the Allegro. We've not done an all-inclusive before, and will still eat out some, but need it this time to take advantage of the Kids' Club and activities for our son while we dive. I've read some really bad reviews on TripAdvisor, and wanted to see if anyone has stayed there, with or without kids, and what you think.

We don't need a five-star resort, or lots of night-life, just a clean, quiet room with a safe fun place for our child while we dive.

Anyone stayed there recently? Any other recommendations?

We're going to Cozumel in September and are tentatively planning to stay at the Allegro. We've not done an all-inclusive before, and will still eat out some, but need it this time to take advantage of the Kids' Club and activities for our son while we dive. I've read some really bad reviews on TripAdvisor, and wanted to see if anyone has stayed there, with or without kids, and what you think.

We don't need a five-star resort, or lots of night-life, just a clean, quiet room with a safe fun place for our child while we dive.

Anyone stayed there recently? Any other recommendations?

The Allegro is one of the bottom tier AI's so as long as your expectations are not high, it will probably be fine.

Not counting Scuba Club - which is more of a divers AI with no kids club - AI's on the island convenient for divers in order of quality typically rank like this (opinions may vary):

Cozumel Palace
Occidental Grand
Park Royal
Iberostar
Fiesta Americana
Wyndam/Aura/Sabor
Allegro

Sorry to hijack the thread -
but I'm curious Christi where Iberostar would rank on your list

(((kevin)))

Sorry to hijack the thread -
but I'm curious Christi where Iberostar would rank on your list

(((kevin)))

oops! I left it off - just edited to add it in :)

Disclaimer:

I have not stayed in any of these resorts. These rankings are based on popular opinion feedback I hear from various people and locals who work in the resorts.

I would agree with what Christi said but she left out Iberostar which is probably some where in the middle.

I wonder if you read my wife's review of Allegro on TA? We stayed there with our 6-month daughter in June 2006. While we thought the accomodations were adequate, resort clean, food so-so and it had a great beach, our biggest complaint was regarding the clientale who where timeshare owners. I know that has little to do with the actual resort but a large group of rude an obnoxious people (not from the states if you were wondering) were allowed to carry on all week long. There were also always lines for food and beverages with the service being unreasonably slow. We used an off-site dive op so I can't really vouch for the on-site op Dive Paradise. I only did a night dive with them and sadly it was on a cattle boat... other than that, they were what I would consider very conservative and safe. It's one of the 3 resorts at the southern tip of the island making it a long and costly taxi ride to town. We did have a very nice babysitter arranged by the Hotel that was the head of housekeeping watch our daughter while we dived but she wan't engaged in any of the kids programs since was too young so I cannot comment on that.

Since then we've stayed 3 times a Fiesta Americana and will be arriving there for the 4th straight time tomorrow! :cool2: We really like it. Great pools with shallow areas for kids. Amazing staff eager to make you feel special. Decent food that you can order al a carte off the menu. Often not crowded. Excellent location being close to the reefs yet only a $6, 5-minute cab to town. Finally the real blessing is the great friend we've made with the hotel's operator that watches our daughter while we dive. Everyone at the hotel simply loves her and dotes on here while we dive. Until now, she's been too young to participate in the kids club activities so I cannot really comment on that but we've also become good friends with the young lady the runs that program as well. On that note, the hotel isn't stellar... it's clean and stuff works but admitiadelly, it has seen better days. All the rooms have a terrific ocean view in the main building which more than make up for it not being spectacular. We're not in the room much so it's little consequence however they are roomer and much more so than at Allegro. Also, there is no traditional beach. There is an elevated, man-made beach with stairs down to the water.

We've also stayed at Iberostar but that was before diving and kids and a rather long time ago so I'll reserve comment except for it's way the hell and gone being the last resort on the island.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know.

I've stayed at the Occidental Grand before I was certified (doh! should have gotten certified then). On site outfit, Dive Planacar seemed like a decent outfit. I went on a snorkel tour with them. Now looking back, the boat was a good size, DM's that guided the snorkel tour were very informative and skilled. Our DM did a 20-25ft free dive through a 30-35ft swim through on a single breath. Well, it impressed me. From my recollections, the gear was newer looking, but their shop was small. They ran morning and afternoon dive trips.

Rooms were very nice. Lots of walking between buildings and between the beach. Depending on the age of your kid, there is a kids club, but never saw anyone in the club. They have lots of activities on the beach for older kids, boogie boards, wind surfing, kayaking, etc. Pools are small compared to the mainland, only one general purpose pool and the other is a "quiet" pool. No nightlife, but when you travel with a pregnant wife, bedtime comes early.

WicketsMom:
need it this time to take advantage of the Kids' Club and activities for our son while we dive.

Also wanted to make you aware that the kids clubs are not intended to leave your children at while you dive. They will require you to have a babysitter for in the event they misbehave or have an accident. I originally thought we would be able to take advantage of this but unfortunately not. They way I look at it is that I cost as much to have a babysitter for our daughter as it would to pay for her diving so when the time comes that she's diving with us, there won't be any sticker shock. :wink:

Christi:
oops! I left it off - just edited to add it in
kwest gotcha before I could finish my dissertation. But as usual, looks like we agree... what can I say, great minds think alike! With one exception... I'd put IB* below FA... that's still in the middle, isn't it? Also, just below FA or Ib*, I'd add Hotel Cozumel where AI is available.

Take this with a grain of salt, since my last stay at the Allegro was about 5 years ago. My experience with the Allegro was positive. The rooms where cool and clean, breakfast was the best meal of the day, it has an onsite dive shop, but I didn't dive with them. We used DIMI Scuba, which picked us up at the Allegro pier. The pools were nice, as were the beaches. They has small catamaran sail boats for rent, which I took advantage of during surface intervals and enjoyed them and the alcoholic beverages were plentiful. :) .. Overall, we enjoyed ourselves. It's about a 15 minute taxi ride from the airport, with the taxi fair ranging in the $15 range. I would stay there again if I wanted to get out of town. :)

I stayed at the Occidental in January. Dove with Dive Palancar (House Dive Shop), and thought that the DMs were great and that the proximity to the reefs was a big plus--no long boat rides. They also offer night dives on M W F if there is enough interest. The advantage of diving with them if you decide to stay at the Allegro is that the SIs are at the hotel, so you will be there between dives and for lunch. There was more to do for kids there than at the Occidental.

I don't know whether or not you've used the forum at Tripadvisor or just the review section, but in my mind the Iberostar is the best of the 3 southern resorts, however it & the Grand should be shopped by price. They are very similar in what you get for what you pay so if one is priced more than say 10% higher I'd choose the cheaper. The Allego is now aimed at families and it has several kid friendly things to entertain them, but I think at least one of those is at additional cost (rope climb). Obviously the operating costs for all 3 should be similar so cheaper (and a lower star rating) usually means less staff to serve plus less variety in food choices or lower quality etc.
Re leaving the resort while the kids are in kids club that is against policy because if they have an emergency you need to be findable. You MUST arrange for a babysitter if you want to leave the resort, you can't use the kids club as the sitter.
Photos of many of the resorts can be found here, and all of them will have clean rooms, (The Grand & the Allegro {album title is Holiday Village White Sands} are near the top, the Iberostar & a few others are way down but all are current to what the resorts are like now)
Picasa Web Albums - Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom