Allegro Cozumel alternative dive operator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
I

IRZL

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good day,
My husband and I are going to Allegro Cozumel end of December. Are there smaller DOs to Pro Divers whom you can recommend in close proximity?
Thank you

Most any other will pick you up on the dock or shore, so yes.

Read this Thread

Good day,
My husband and I are going to Allegro Cozumel end of December. Are there smaller DOs to Pro Divers whom you can recommend in close proximity?
Thank you
You may have figured this out by now, but to address your questions fairly directly:

1) There aren't many dive operators close to Allegro
2) It doesn't really matter how close the dive operators are because Allegro is fairly close to the reefs where most dive shops go anyway. Historically all diver operators would have picked you up at Allegro or any hotel south of the marina.
3) Hotel polices now vary about allowing non-affiliated dive operators to pick up at their pier. Some allow without restriction, some charge a fee, and perhaps some don't allow it all. Years ago all the hotels allowed any operator to pick up at their pier, but that has changed over time. depending upon the hotel. I don't know what the Allegro's policy is. Some operators may even pick up people on the beach as opposed to the pier to avoid the charge.

The above points might be good background before reading the thread @NDL_Diver linked to.

Are there smaller DOs to Pro Divers whom you can recommend in close proximity

By smaller op, are you looking for a smaller boat? Good posts from @NDL_Diver and @cozcharlie .

Something else to think about: although ProDive has bigger boats, groups will be small and the trip to dive sites will be 5-10 minutes - dive times may be about 10 minutes shorter than going with a smaller op because they tend to (or used to) stay on a schedule. With “smaller” ops and, of course, depending on the sites, you may get 60+ minute dive times. If you are looking for more than 2 dives a day, it may be easier to schedule with ProDive also, since they are right there. If you have another op pick you up, you will be waiting for them to arrive and most likely be the last divers on the boat (unless they are also picking up at the Iberostar a little farther south.) Just a few things to think about - no matter what you do, it will be great!!

We were picked up at Allegro pier by Roberta's Scuba Shack for the past 7 days. They were paying the dock guy and added it to our final bill. Not sure how much but about $3 per person per day. I just remember for two people for 7 days the adder was in the low 40's.

Being close to the dive sites is nice. We had to hurry to get our stuff in our bags after dive 2 before they were at the dock. A day or two they beat us. One drawback is you don't get to do the more northern sites. One day we rode back to their shop so we could do Tormentos.

By smaller op, are you looking for a smaller boat? Good posts from @NDL_Diver and @cozcharlie .

Something else to think about: although ProDive has bigger boats, groups will be small and the trip to dive sites will be 5-10 minutes - dive times may be about 10 minutes shorter than going with a smaller op because they tend to (or used to) stay on a schedule. With “smaller” ops and, of course, depending on the sites, you may get 60+ minute dive times. If you are looking for more than 2 dives a day, it may be easier to schedule with ProDive also, since they are right there. If you have another op pick you up, you will be waiting for them to arrive and most likely be the last divers on the boat (unless they are also picking up at the Iberostar a little farther south.) Just a few things to think about - no matter what you do, it will be great!!
Thank you for very up to the point practical response

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom