All Around Reg for Travel Rec Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4, Well known brand that will be easy to get serviced / supported in both USA and international
I guarantee you, the last thing you want to do on vacation is to have some underpaid monkey working on your reg and then jumping off a boat into the blue. If you have a problem with your reg, either take a backup or rent.

I guarantee you, the last thing you want to do on vacation is to have some underpaid monkey working on your reg and then jumping off a boat into the blue. If you have a problem with your reg, either take a backup or rent.
I agree with taking a backup. The same undertrained monkey that would be doing the repairs is probably the same one that maintains the rental great.

Get your gear serviced and dive it a few times before you travel so there are no surprises.

"monkey" ?

There are hundred's of people from around the world on SB and many of them are dive equipment technicians working in dive resorts around the globe and at dive shops in the US, I am sure that they feel great and are happy when they read that they are called "monkeys" on SB. How tactful and professional.

Not to be repetitive but then why not? Everyone else is. I like the AL Titan LX> Core Supreme>Helix Pro regulator series very much. It is relatively simple, proven design, very high performance, reliable and the first stage is not only an evolution of the Conshelf it also has the ACD feature which I like regardless. For a major manufacturer product it is also relatively inexpensive.

Reaffirming my regard for the series, I just returned from Cozumel where I had a G250, a G260 and a Kraken equipped with a Core second stage for an octopus. If I was pressed to say which second stage (regulator) breathed the best (subjective indeed) I would have to say my Core did. Okay, okay, the G250 on a Mark V or X is the best ever but the OP is looking for a new regulator for travel and recreational diving. The new Helix Pro is it, it is also very compact first stage, sleek second stage and light weight set for easy packing for us weight weenies.

James

Know you may have made a decision but will still throw this out there as an option - and only because you mention "travel" in the title of the thread and do about the same type of diving I do.

I purchased the Aqualung Mikron Reg (along with the Airsource 3) in 2010 - was strictly looking for lightweight gear for travel. These are the only 2 pieces of major scuba items that I have not replaced to date. My care of it has gone like this: 2011 and 2012 - annual inspection; 2013-15 - no inspections; 2016 -18 - repair each of those years with LDS that I started going to. In 2018, I made a note that inspection would become bi-annual. Because of pandemic, I didn't have inspected/serviced again until 2021- had a knob replaced for $12. Since I can't really remember why I wrote "bi-annual", I'm calling the LDS this week to see if I need to take it in again this year (I have 24 dives since last year.) Anyway, a few issues (the reasons for the repairs) through the years while on a trip have occurred, but were easily managed. Through the years, I've seen bigger and maybe better, but when I think about the type of diving I do, this reg has suited me well.

This would probably have been my travel reg if my first LDS had been an AL shop.

There are hundred's of people from around the world on SB and many of them are dive equipment technicians working in dive resorts around the globe and at dive shops in the US, I am sure that they feel great and are happy when they read that they are called "monkeys" on SB. How tactful and professional.
That’s because

/s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom