All about visual inspection stickers VCI/VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubakat

Reaction score
Do the visual inspection tags in the US get marked for the month that they expire, or the month that they were inspected?

And... How diligent are your tank fillers about checking for a VIP? I ask because I borrowed some tanks from a friend & either I am reading the sticker wrong, or the shop is not checking them at all...

thanks!
kate

Kate,

I would have to look - but I woudl think it is for the inspection month - that's what is also stamped on the tank for the Hydro...

Dane

VIP stickers are marked or punched with the date of the inspection, just like Hydro tests. That way there can be no confusion - if the date punched is over a year old, you need a new VIP before filling.
Rick

Originally posted by scubakat
Do the visual inspection tags in the US get marked for the month that they expire, or the month that they were inspected?

And... How diligent are your tank fillers about checking for a VIP? I ask because I borrowed some tanks from a friend & either I am reading the sticker wrong, or the shop is not checking them at all...

thanks!
kate

It is my understanding the VIP stickers are punch the month and the year the VIP is preformed. PST inspects and applies VIP stickers before they leave the factory in this fashion.

ti

Kauai-diver,

Which dive shop,if any, do you dive with on Kauai. We will be in Poipu in September and have not yet selected a shop. Have you ever dived with Bubbles Below?

Thanks,

Joewr

I normally dive with friends from work, one of them has a boat. My good buddy is one of the boat captains for Blue Dolphin charters. I just went out with him last tuesday to Lehua Rock, just north of Niihau. He has a tour that combines a trip of the Napali Coast for sight seeing, then cross the channel to Niihau for the Wall dive, known here as Vertical Awareness. See my dive report:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=2692

Depends on what type of things you want to dive. There is a neat cavern/lava tube dive on the south shore called the Sheraton Caverns(located off the Sheraton Kauai) in about 60 feet of water. Lotta turtles and fish. I like the wall dive. You can go down to 120 and swim the wall. Lots of seals, sharks and rays sometimes.

Blue Dolphin Charters is my friends company and the boat is nice. It's a 63x25 foot cat, double decker, set up really nice for diving. They provide breakfast, lunch and a open bar for the trip home.They do a number of different dives and locations so youcan call them to check it out.

Their number is 808-742-6731
http://www.kauaiboats.com/

If you end up going with them, email me and let me know. I'll go along!

Oh yeah, I have not dove with bubbles below....
In Poipu, I would go with Seasport Divers 808-742-9303, they are right on Poipu Rd. close to all of the hotels in the Poipu area. Another Poipu location is Fathom Five Divers 808-742-6991, they are right up the road. Do the Sheraton Caverns if you dive the south shore, else do the Blue Dolphin dive over to Niihau or up the Napali Coast. The Blue Dolphin boat is really nice. Includes food, drinks and is a very comfortable boat.

How many are there of you? If I get 4 of you, I can get a deal from my buddy. With 4 people, he will do 2 for the regular price and then the second 2 for the price of one! So 4 of you could dive for the price of 3, all you have to do is let me know and i make the reservation at the discounted rate. Then when you get here, I will introduce you to the Captain. I will be off island 4-13 Sep. When are you coming? I don't have to be here to get you the deal set up, so Let me know if you need anymore numbers etc....

K_D

Along the same lines there is a shop around here that won't fill unless the tank has a VIP + inspection. The plus checks for neck cracks I think. Is this becomming more common? I understand its a safety issue. How can you tell be looking at the sticker if its had a plain VIP or a VIP + inspection.

Tom

K-D,

Thanks for the info! I am off to the movies now, but will digest all you said tomorrow and get back to you.

How-some-ever, it will just be Barbara and I--not a cast of thousands! Thanks again...

Joewr

Hey, K-D,

Thanks for the info! We are going to be in Poipu--which by my reconing is in the south--and Napali, where your friend's shop is, is in the northwest. So, I think we need to go with a dive shop closer to Poipu. But your friend's boat sounds great!

I have had trouble getting on the Five Fathom's website and e-mail, though I am looking at the other sites. Sheraton Caverns sounds like my kind of site! Some of my best shark photos have been taken in the Hawaiin Is.! Never had a seal come close, though.

Thanks again for the help! We have been to the islands numerous times, but never to Kauai. We will have a rental car and a couple of open days. Got any recommendations for "tourist" items not to be missed? Any good kayaking places where one can rent a kayak (river or sea) and go on a guided expedition?

Joewr

Back
Top Bottom