All about the backup regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OneBrightGator:
Where should your backup regulator hang?

Right now it hangs about 3.5 inches below my collarbone, it's too far to dip my head down and pick it up, but it doesn't interfere with my primary if I tip my head down.

Any advice?

Ben

My solution probably isn't really DIR but here's my take on it. It should be high enough so it doesn't get in the way of the drysuit inflator and it should be low enough so when you look down it doesn't get jammed in between your chin/primary and your chest. Also, I think it's important that there is enough slack/stretch on the necklace that you can pull the reg away from your face to look at it.

R..

Hmmm ... dilemma. I just recently had to figure out a solution to this problem. I devised a way to change necklace length while diving ... to find the optimal length under real conditions ... so I think it would address your question.

But I don't know if it's DIR approved ... so I probably shouldn't answer in this forum.

PM me if you'd like to know how I did it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
Hmmm ... dilemma. I just recently had to figure out a solution to this problem. I devised a way to change necklace length while diving ... to find the optimal length under real conditions ... so I think it would address your question.

But I don't know if it's DIR approved ... so I probably shouldn't answer in this forum.

PM me if you'd like to know how I did it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh, Bob. Don't be coy. Just tell us. I promise you won't get banned.

OneBrightGator:
Where should your backup regulator hang?

Right now it hangs about 3.5 inches below my collarbone, it's too far to dip my head down and pick it up, but it doesn't interfere with my primary if I tip my head down.

Any advice?

Ben

PM sent, Ben ... hope you find it useful.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Twomixdiver:
The necklace should be just enough to keep the reg in your mouth if ever you feel as if you'll tox and convulse....

If it had to be that tight it would be in the way all the time, wouldn't it?

R..

Diver0001:
If it had to be that tight it would be in the way all the time, wouldn't it?

R..
No, if you measure the diameter of your neck versus the diameter around your head at the point of your pie hole, there would be a significant difference. What I have seen in my limited experience, are divers with a necklace that hangs too low, causing them to spend valuable time searching with their hand for their backup reg. While I can't quite tilt my head down and engage this reg(cold water dry suit config) If i pull it to my mouth, there is sufficent tension to keep it there during a potential convulsion while still low enough that I don't hit the purge button when looking down.

jjsteffen:
No, if you measure the diameter of your neck versus the diameter around your head at the point of your pie hole, there would be a significant difference. What I have seen in my limited experience, are divers with a necklace that hangs too low, causing them to spend valuable time searching with their hand for their backup reg. While I can't quite tilt my head down and engage this reg(cold water dry suit config) If i pull it to my mouth, there is sufficent tension to keep it there during a potential convulsion while still low enough that I don't hit the purge button when looking down.

interesting.

I just took a look at the pictures in Jablonski's book. The backup is hanging with the mouthpiece pointed outwards right at the point where the soft spot is between your collar bones.

R..

Hello,
I just got my new hoses today, attached the blot snap to the 7 footer, and trying to figure out how to make the DIR octopus holder? Anyone have a website or even a pic for me to look at?

Thanks,

Danny

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom