All about the backup regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would there be any difference in a DIR diver's setup between Cave diving Wrecking or bopping around in 30 fsw with no overhead? One configuration ALWAYS!

JPBECK:
There is no way that I can route the hose so that it does not pull the rig out of my mouth! Unless I just let it loop way out - this would cause a entaglement issue in the type of diving I do!

You just pass it under your right arm, across your chest, around your neck and into your mouth. Are you trying to anchor it somewhere?

JPBECK:
Why would there be any difference in a DIR diver's setup between Cave diving Wrecking or bopping around in 30 fsw with no overhead? One configuration ALWAYS!

For the most part, I agree. There is no *need* to dive a 5ft hose...you can dive a 7fter all the time. That's what I do. However, for someone who only does recreational diving with no overheads, there is also no *need* for a 7ft hose and a 5 or 6 will work fine. I used a 6ft hose for a while, but now, as I progress with my training, I'm diving a 7fter.

JPBECK:

It's not one configuration always. It's the best configuration for the job.

Diving the Doria? Wear a drysuit, steel plate, doubles, reels, sling your deco and/or stage bottles.

30' boat dives in Cayman in August? Wear your dive skin with an Al plate and a single Al 80.

"Why would there be any difference"? Because you take what you need for the dive, and that's it. It's not DIR to take doubles, deco bottles, and a drysuit on a hot-water no-overhead shallow dive.

I mean the basic configuration never changes- I for one never change hoses or configurations- becasue it is the backbone. Sure you add equipment- however you dont move things around- Each added piece has a designated spot-

You dont go changing your hose configuration, just cause you are diving in warm water-

JPBECK:
I mean the basic configuration never changes- I for one never change hoses or configurations- becasue it is the backbone. Sure you add equipment- however you dont move things around- Each added piece has a designated spot-

You dont go changing your hose configuration, just cause you are diving in warm water-

Are you saying this is a bad thing?

Do you move your regulators around and use different hoses in different environments?

Is that really a good idea?

What are you talking about... I just said that I dont move hoses around.

No problemo - you made me think though- I thought it was a trick question-

Where should your backup regulator hang?

Right now it hangs about 3.5 inches below my collarbone, it's too far to dip my head down and pick it up, but it doesn't interfere with my primary if I tip my head down.

Any advice?

Ben

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom