All about the backup regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the info. I like the make it option.

Correction: Last post said 70' ... should be 7'. Typo.

WillAbbott:
You have about 3 options.

#1 buy the necklace from Halcyon

#2 make it out of surgical tubing

#3 make it out of bungee cord (shock cord)

My preference is #3, and I get my bungee from: http://www.reefscuba.com/bungee.htm

Sometimes you can find it locally, I went to pretty much every hardware and any other store which might sell it in my area, and always came up short, though you can sometimes find like bungee's made for like tarp tie downs etc (found a few here even) and canabalize them into the right job... ordering it from Reef Scuba, you can get the fashionable black, or white with blue stripes.

UWSojourner:
That's why I want to try it. I find my Octo not in an ideal place. Would like to streamline a bit. As for the 70' primary hose, not ready for that yet.

7' hoes is also not noticable to me. First time I tried it I was surprised to find how natural it was.

bungee is extemely easy option. Takes about 20 mintues to do it. You might end up shortening the necklace as the first time you think it would be too short. Don't want the thing dangling on your chest.

Since you're going with a bungeed backup, put your *octo* hose on your primary reg, and your primary hose on the backup.

You're going to be donating your primary if your buddy goes OOA. Be sure there's enough hose for that.

You can find the small bungee cord and outdoor stores locally. If they sell camping and hiking supplies they will probably have it in various sizes. I think I got 1/8th last time but it should be pretty thin.

Chad

Most Dive shops carry the "B" word --I dont like even saying the Bungee Word---Oops, there you made me go and say it are you happy...

Or you can buy one from Halcyon for about $100.00... No just kidding about the price but they do sell them... I thought it was a joke, so I called, and they said many people buy them.

I got a chunk of surg tubing at a "Longs Drug Store" in the small sporting goods dept. believe it or not. Five minutes with a nylon zip tie and my backup reg and it was done. I used the 1/4" dia stuff. It's weightless underwater anyway, I didn't want to have to be messin with it in a month.

JPBECK:
Most Dive shops carry the "B" word --I dont like even saying the Bungee Word---Oops, there you made me go and say it are you happy...

Or you can buy one from Halcyon for about $100.00... No just kidding about the price but they do sell them... I thought it was a joke, so I called, and they said many people buy them.

How do they get that big HALCYON label attached to that small cord? :laughing: Their engineering department must be huge!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom