all about O ring

the O rings, should i buy them from AP Valves or anywhere else????

• only from AP Valves...

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • ok from anywhere else...

Votes: 5 62.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wazza

Reaction score
Dear friends

My question is, I need loads of O rings for my Inspiration as spare parts , and it will cost me loads to bring them from the UK and need time as well.
And on the other hand there is a place here near my home they sell every kind of O ring and as thickness or size. So I can take the one I need and get exactly the one I wont. Is it ok do to something like this.
I see no difference between the one we have from AP Valves and these one at all. So why not.
Thanks for your help

Please be aware that there are several different O-ring size series in use worldwide. Metric and the Imperial 2-xxx series in stock most places in the states are different, although similar sizes are close enough to appear the same size to the nanked eye. They ARE different enough to make a difference to seal geometry of a dynamic seal joint. Often the interchange is "good enough" for a non-critical static seal, but I'd be a bit leery if a leak could result in a caustic cocktail on my next breath.

Any hardware coming from abroad may have either style ring. The best way to tell what needs to go in there is to measure the gland groove in the hardware, then match those dimentions up to the suggested values for both series. Those numbers will give you the preferred size for the ring to fill the gland.

I'm not familiar with the repair parts for the Inspiration, but most any good seal house should be able to match up the gland dimensions to ring size. Be sure to inform them that the hardware came from the UK and may be using metric rings not commonly used in the US. OTOH 2-xxx series rings are available worldwide too so it MAY have imperial rings in it.
If you can match them up there should be considerable savings in buying them in 50 ring packs.

FT

<wondering how long before O-ring shows up to see exactly why he is being named in another poll?>

Ah well, better to be named in a poll than a paternity suit eh O-ring? :D

Try asking APD via e-mail.

1) The O rings kits are dirt cheap and so is slow postage to the US from the UK. Should be less than $20 to get complete O-ring Kit to you and APD's service is A1. (There are a lot of O rings on a turtle)

2) Try just asking them. APD are really customer focussed and they may just tell you what O rings they use

info@ambientpressurediving.com
sales@ambientpressurediving.com

Nicki and Sarah are really helpful

Full inspiration parts lists, price lists and exploded parts diagrams on my web site, so you know what codes to ask for

First buy a set from AP valves (come on they dont cost the earth do they) then if you wish to save some dosh take them to a o-ring suppier and ask them to measure them (this is a service they normally carry out for walk in customers). They will then supply you with the correct sizes.

Its rubber, it has an cross section diameter and an internal diameter measurement - its not rocket science.

Personnaly Ive just ordered mine from AP valves cos you shouldnt need that many (unless you are ham fisted) and I cannt be assed to drive to the shop.

The mark-up for o-rings as supplied in repair kits is usually huge, well over 1000% in some cases (I know cos I sell repair kits for my systems) But they still only cost a little and the customer doesnt have the hastle of sourcing their own.

Dear wazza,

Yes you can. If you take the old one they can match it.

Be aware there are a number of different o-ring materials used, viton for example, but at these pressures it probably wont matter which one you use.

thanks for the help every one,
i will buy new ones from AP Valves , i think
its safer, and maybe i would buy some from
here if it was an emergency .
thanks again for the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom