All about cylinder inspections & training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the NAUI textbook it says that a cylinder MUST be inspected visually at least once a year. First I am curious of the average cost of this inspection. Second, aren't these tanks covered under DOT rules and regs. and if so do not require visual inspections every year.

My other question is about repair of regs.
A question was asked here what is the best way to become a certified scuba repair tech.
The answer, basically was to ask your local dive shop to show you the ropes.
I have tried to find a certified school to go to to learn repair and tank inspection(although on the tank inspection part I read here that dive shops that didn't know you or your initials on the tank would probably not fill them). The certified scuba repair tech class was 2-4 days long and certified you in a couple manufactures brands.I am assuming that certification comes from the manufacturer and that there is no law that says you have to be a certified repair tech to do this.

I have been an mechanical engineer for 10 years( and I dive ) and am looking at scuba repair as a second career. I would appreciate any facts you could give me.

Visuals are a scuba industry thing. At our shop we charge 11 dollars for an inspection plus the cost of the fill.

Check this link PSI Inspectors
This should give you an idea on some of the things involved with tank inspection. No "LAWS" stating an annual VIP - just industry standards. Have to say that I agree with an annual inspection to weed out the bad, nasty tanks out there :wink:

To date in the US the one year cycle of visual inspection of cylinders has been a voluntary thing. Only visual inspections at the time of hydrostatic tests are mandated under US DOT regulations. This may be changing.

Proposal HM-220F would require all composite cylinders (hoop wrapped fiberglass construction) to receive an annual visual inspection by a trained PSI certified cylinder inspector.

PSI is probably the most widely recognized formal training program for conducting visual inspections of cylinders. You can find the contact details for a PSI instructor near you from the links on the PSI homepage.

Considering the abuse that scuba cylinders can be exposed to as compared to other compressed gas cylinders, an annual visual inspection only makes sense. Last weekend I condemned a cylinder on visual inspection which had passed hydro in September '02. Water intrusion, and thread corrosion made this cylinder highly likely to fail before the next mandatory test in September '07. I was glad to take it out of service now.

A few places will teach regulator repair courses, but usually only teh factory's representative can make a an "authorized" repair technician.

Some regs are models of simplicity and can be serviced with common household tools. Others require an investment in specialized tools to service properly. Both require you to be able to get your hands on certain parts.

The manufacturers usually limit distribution to authorized technicians and/or authorized dealers. Just because you have taken the factory authorized repair clinic does not mean you will be able to purchase parts independently of a dealer. This makes independent scuba repair work difficult.

I agree it is better to live rich than die rich but I don't want "sucker" tattooed on my forehead either.
I understand that this equipment is the only thing between you enjoying a nice dive, i.e., breathing, and float checking.

I am just finding it hard to get information on this subject. I am not wanting to go into business for myself, just get started on education/training to work for a shop in the future as a secondary career/retirement.

O.K., certification as a tank inspector, DOT requires it, schools are available, got it!

Would shops honor my stamp on my equipment, as I read on a different board here, they probably would not. If not,why not?

Certification as a Scuba Equipment Repair Tech?
You can get training from manufactures but that's not certification, right? So, the shop you work for certifies you?
If not, what sanctioning body certifies you for this.

And finally, does being an instructor void this entire problem?

rajb88:
I agree it is better to live rich than die rich but I don't want "sucker" tattooed on my forehead either.
I understand that this equipment is the only thing between you enjoying a nice dive, i.e., breathing, and float checking.

I am just finding it hard to get information on this subject. I am not wanting to go into business for myself, just get started on education/training to work for a shop in the future as a secondary career/retirement.

O.K., certification as a tank inspector, DOT requires it, schools are available, got it!

Would shops honor my stamp on my equipment, as I read on a different board here, they probably would not. If not,why not?

Certification as a Scuba Equipment Repair Tech?
You can get training from manufactures but that's not certification, right? So, the shop you work for certifies you?
If not, what sanctioning body certifies you for this.

And finally, does being an instructor void this entire problem?

Unless you work for a shop and they want you to service regs for them most manufacturers won't train or authorize you as a tech. Essentially the entry requirement is that you're a dealer.

Being trained/authorized on one brand does not authorize you for any others.

The training usually consists of a sales rep stopping by the shop and taking a reg apart and putting it back together. If there's time you might get to do it.

The most important part od the training is the part where you hand over the check for your opening order which depending on the manufacturer will be between $2500 and $18000.

With most manufacturers only dealers have access to parts and manuals.

What I'm saying is that the training is a joke usually. If you have the bucks to buy a dealership then you get to service regs.

The clinics put on at shows like DEMA and OWUW are a little better but you have to be sponsored by a dealer to get in and good luck with that.

There are a few equipment repair schools but as far as I know it doesn't authorize you for any manufacturer.

Hydro in our town runs $30 to $50, including a VIP and fill.

Dave the Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom