All about cylinder inspections & training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am teaching the course in Cleveland this weekend.

It is always a pleasure to send new inspectors into the industry.

Have fun with your class!

C_C

Tell us how your PSI Visual Cylinder Inspector Class went!

C_C

A very interesting day!!

After getting coffee, the class started with a pretest. None of us aced it, so we continued with the class. :wink:

First we reviewed the pretest. After that was a very long but interesting powerpoint slide presentation. Some history, a lot of information on different cylinders/manufacturers/materials/etc, including SCUBA and SCBA. Then, PSI's 18 step inspection protocol.
We finnished up with each of us inspecting 2 cylinders. We also learned how to do eddy current testing (this may show cracks in the tank threads that we can't see by eye). One of the guys in the class wasn't to happy as he found cracks in the threads of a used tank he had recently purchased. I inspected my wifes tanks, which are still like new, and now I know that they are still like new, inside and out!! :)

One of the facts that I find amazing is that; An 80 cu ft. cylinder has enough energy to put a fire truck on the roof of a 7 story building!! :eek:

an excellent course!! :thumb: I'm glad I went!!

I highly recommend the course to anyone who thinks they might might be able to use it!!

Hey, If you have a lot of tanks, you'll re-coup the cost of the course in no time!!

I bought my tanks from Diver's Direct in Orlando. I took them to my local dive shop to have them filled. They filled them the first 3 times, and now the owners have a problem with the vip sticker. Now they want to do their own vip for $8 a pop. I have 4 tanks, and they are all brand new. It makes no sense to me except that they are ticked that I am buying my gear elsewhere. Has anyone else had problems with their LDS when it comes to Diver's Direct tanks? In my opinion, it is the same old problem of LDS getting ripped over the loss of revenue again. Anyway, feedback would be great.

That's crap.

DD is a perfectly valid dive shop. Unless you are putting PP Nitrox in there (in which case you need them O2 cleaned) their VIP is perfectly fine.

I'd tell the LDS to go stuff it and find another one. If they want to do the VIP for free, fine and well, but otherwise, I'd say "nope" and walk out, then tell all your diving friends why.

BTW I've been in that DD store. There is one guy in there at least (Michael, if I remember his name correctly) who knows his stuff and has been teaching for quite a long time - its obvious. Most dive shop folk are dweebs and I rate their knowledge approximately equal to that of used car salesmen - this guy's an exception, and it was obvious in talking with him.

I'd have no problem buying a tank or anything else in there, and in fact I did buy a few things when we were down there a couple of weeks ago.

I know what you mean about the LDS. These guys up here are good divers and great instructors, but crappy business men. They keep driving more and more people away from their shop. As for DD, I have had nothing but great service from them. I deal with Gill most of the time when I go. He is the big guy there. I have delt with Micheal too. He is also good.

Since your in Cent Fla Id just find another shop after letting your regular shop know why you wont trade with him any longer. I also have dealt with Mike every time I was in that store. Hes very professional and makes sure you get what you need.

If the problem with the VIP sticker was that it had expired, it doesn't matter where you take it.........though if the tanks were new, I imagine they slap the stickers on them when they leave the shop

If they already filled them and the VIP hasn't expired they shouldn't be insisting on another one unless they know something that we haven't heard (Idon't know what that could be)

As a general rule though, if you bring an empty tank into a shop they will insist on doing a visual no matter what the sticker says.

Back
Top Bottom