Algorithm

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One of the nice things about the Shearwaters is the graph provided of the tissue compartment loading. It's interesting, and reassuring, to be able to watch how the various compartments respond over the course of multiple days and dives, such as a week on a liveaboard with 25+ dives.

One thing I am looking forward to being able to watch on my liveaboard later in the year is how the tissue loadings (for all compartments) are affected by time and multiple dives (will it still be the fast tissues that are the controlling factors or will that have moved to the slower tissues by the last dive of the day?)

I've done several liveaboard trips with my Petrel/Perdix, completing all available dives during the week while using Nitrox, and never saw the slower compartments come near to being an issue, although they did obviously show some elevation. I've been using 40/85 and the adaptive safety stops.

I've done several liveaboard trips with my Petrel/Perdix, completing all available dives during the week while using Nitrox, and never saw the slower compartments come near to being an issue, although they did obviously show some elevation. I've been using 40/85 and the adaptive safety stops.
We have done many LOBs and multidive days in Bonaire. I am in the process of pushing our legacy dive logs into Subsurface so that we can get a better idea of the tissue loading (hopefully in different compartments?).

I didn’t know that information was captured. It isn’t visible in the Shearwater desktop program.

I didn’t know that information was captured. It isn’t visible in the Shearwater desktop program.
If you are referring to my response, tissue loading is not captured. Only the depth profile info. Subsurface has the ability to "recalculate" a dive profile based upon the raw depth profile data. Subsurface has 2 builtin algorithms: VPM-B and Buhlmann.

I am using a Buhlmann 30/90 to approximate the NDL calculations performed by my Uwatec Aladin dive computer. From this I am interested in looking at Subsurface's tissue loading information.

Well, I appreciate all of the responses. I think all of them were very educational. Got a lot to learn.
I am by nature a conservative, I am in my Mid 50's in good health and lead a healthy life style.
My upcoming trip will consist of maybe 2 - 3s dives a day for about 6 days.
I will be diving with a well known outfitter and have gone over my newness to diving with the DM.
My intention with asking my question was to learn from you guys,(experience divers) of were to start.
Some of your answers have given me a place to start.
Thanks,

If your dive count is accurate you probably won't be diving too deep or long yet and many new divers burn through their air before reaching NDL anyway. If 'twer me, I'd run DSAT as the algorithm in a liveaboard as the base point under those conditions.

Computer's are an essential tool but don't forget to listen to what your body is telling you during the trip. Headache, unexplained general aches and pains, or tiredness etc can all be warnings of sub clinical DCS. Maybe a sign to extend the safety stops a little or sit out a dive?

Also listen (But not blindly) to the advice from the crew and more experienced divers. Like in any human endeavour there are the quietly competent, the foolish, the braggarts, the 'cowboy's, and the old curmudgeon wary of all those new fangled devices.. Somewhere in the middle of that tangled web is the path of wisdom. Analyse any advice you're given (Especially mine! ) and make sure it's logical given what you currently know, and makes sense to you from a safety perspective. Don't just be a sheep, think for yourself throughout your dives and where something is wrong either query it with the crew or act on your own initiative if necessary.

If your dive count is accurate you probably won't be diving too deep or long yet and many new divers burn through their air before reaching NDL anyway. If 'twer me, I'd run DSAT as the algorithm in a liveaboard as the base point under those conditions.

Computer's are an essential tool but don't forget to listen to what your body is telling you during the trip. Headache, unexplained general aches and pains, or tiredness etc can all be warnings of sub clinical DCS. Maybe a sign to extend the safety stops a little or sit out a dive?

Also listen (But not blindly) to the advice from the crew and more experienced divers. Like in any human endeavour there are the quietly competent, the foolish, the braggarts, the 'cowboy's, and the old curmudgeon wary of all those new fangled devices.. Somewhere in the middle of that tangled web is the path of wisdom. Analyse any advice you're given (Especially mine! ) and make sure it's logical given what you currently know, and makes sense to you from a safety perspective. Don't just be a sheep, think for yourself throughout your dives and where something is wrong either query it with the crew or act on your own initiative if necessary.
Thanks for the great advice!

I am using a Buhlmann 30/90 to approximate the NDL calculations performed by my Uwatec Aladin dive computer. From this I am interested in looking at Subsurface's tissue loading information.

Got it. It will be interesting to see what you find.

@RTC'83

You can always dive a liberal computer more conservatively by staying farther from NDL or by choosing a conservative setting. There is nothing you can do to make a conservative computer more liberal. The flexibility may be important to some divers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom