Alex's Aquatic Adventure (Alex Mason) Oahu

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4Micah

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I am researching dive outfits on Oahu that offer advanced certifications, such as Wreck diving. I came across this web site and thought I would consult this board:confused:
Does anyone have any experience with them and/or Alex as an instructor, etc.?
Alternatively, does anyone have any other recommendations?

Many thanks!

pay very close attention to the very first responce you got. the only instructor i would recomend is kirsten or is it kerstin anyway good luck.

Hi 4Micah,

As a periodic visitor to Oahu, I have a different perspective of Alex's Aquatic Adventures than do the local posters above. My Undercurrent review is attached. Please feel free to personal message me if you have additional questions.

Undercurrent review March 2009:

I have dived with Alex Mason three times now. The first time, in 2006, and the second, in 2008, was while Alex was owner/operator of AAA Scuba and was diving off Elysium. Both of these excellent experiences were detailed in prior Undercurrent reviews. Alex is now the owner of Alex's Aquatic Adventures and he contracts boat seats as many operators on Oahu do.
Due to my previous experiences, I did not hesitate to contact Alex to arrange my diving for a return trip to Oahu. I requested 12 dives over the 3 days I had free, including some sites I had not previously had the opportunity to dive. Alex came through perfectly with a flawless 3 days of diving. The service and convenience were exemplary. Alex picked me up from the designated area at the Hilton on time each of the 3 days. He supplies hot coffee, water and juice, towels, jackets, and, best of all, hot face towels after each dive. Boy, does that feel good after an hour in cool water!
For the first 2 days, we dived off the Enzo and did Sea Tiger, Turtle Canyon, Kewalo Arch & Pipe, YO-257/San Pedro, and Nautilus Reef. The third day was out of Hawaii Kai on the Nori-Z and we did Corsair, Spitting Caves, and Angler's Reef. Alex does a great job of allowing divers to dive their own profile consistent with skill and experience. He successfully advocated for hour dives on all shallower sites despite the fact that all other groups dived shorter profiles, many of them with inexperienced and/or discover divers.
As usual, the sea life was prolific and included Whitetip Reef Sharks, numerous Frogfish, Leaf Scorpions, countless turtles, many Morays (Whitemouth, Tiger, Stout, Zebra&#8230:wink:, Eagle Rays, octopi, nudibranchs, and many, many gorgeous Hawaiian reef fish.
Overall, I got in over 10 hours of fantastic bottom time in my 3 days of diving. The 5mm wetsuit turned out to be a good choice given the average water temperature of 74 degrees, several degrees cooler than previous visits. For the third time in four years, I had a great time diving with Alex Mason. I'm already looking forward to my next visit to Oahu and diving with Alex's Aquatic Adventures.

Good diving, Craig

Hi COMPRESSORHAWAII,

I first chose to dive with Alex in 2006 based on a very favorable review in Undercurrent. At the time, I found it difficult to find much information on dive operators on Oahu. Alex has 8 reviews, all positive, on Undercurrent going back to June 2005, 5 as AAA Diving and 3 as Alex's Aquatic Adventures. This is more reviews than any of the other dive operators on the island.

The facts do not appear to support the statement you made above. Visitors to Oahu have to do the best they can to obtain unbiased information to make choices regarding their activities on the island. Anyone with additional questions regarding my diving experiences on Oahu should feel free to send me a personal message.

Good diving, Craig

Last edited:
Here is the thing about Alex. He has a personality that rubs some folks the wrong way. He did a lot of bad-mouthing of other local operaters. These are two reasons for unfavorable reviews.

I did dive with his operation and I did find that he allowed divers to dive their own profiles. I am not one of the people that enjoyed his sense of humor, however. Aside from that, I had a good time on his boat.

So it is a hit or miss, really, with Alex's operation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom