Aldora Divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would really like to learn more about how people handle their meals when staying at the Villas.
It's a reasonable walk or bike ride into town and all the restaurants. We had a car rental so we went to the deli section of one of the big supermarkets and got a bunch of mostly mole-based dishes and a stack of corn tortillas, fresh salsa and limes and we made our own tacos for dinner with a beer while sitting on our balcony watching the water, which beats the thumping music at most of the restaurants in my opinion. For breakfast, I'd have a half papaya with yogurt, granola, banana and lime juice (again, on the balcony). Lunches were usually had by riding the bikes provided by Villa Aldora into town, locking them up at the bike racks in the square and exploring around looking for an interesting restaurant. The rooms at the villa have a microwave and fridge.

Several of the rooms have full kitchens. We go the supermarket and pickup breakfast stuff (eggs, coffee, bead, butter, milk...) and make a quick egg, toast and coffee for breakfast, beers and snacks for after diving back at the villa. Diving SI is at beach club and we get a snack there or have boat snacks (fruit provided). Dinner is a 15 min walk to town or a 100 peso taxi to restaurant.

All the rooms have at least a coffee maker, smallish fridge, and a microwave. Many have a full kitchen. I always rent a car, so I make a run to Mega, Chedraui, or Soriana to stock up on breakfast and lunch fixings, snacks, and beer. If I don’t have a stove, breakfast is usually yogurt and granola. We get back from diving late enough that I usually just have a sandwich for lunch. I’ll get some Serrano ham and chorizo and whatever else. I eat dinner in town. If I have a kitchen, I might have eggs and chorizo, breakfast tacos, or something. Lunch might be tacos of some sort. You can keep it simple or go crazy. You can taxi to the grocery stores. You might get a lift to the store from the Villa manager, but that’s not guaranteed. It really works well.

No need to add much to how people handle meals. We've stayed at the Villa many times and we do the same thing as mentioned above for meals. The bakery at Mega is really good and we love getting rolls from them for sandwiches. The only drawback is that they stay fresh for just a couple of days so a trip to get more is necessary occasionally.

We've never rented a car, but a taxi is about $100MX to Mega and the Villa has bikes you can use for free. You just have to be comfortable with urban bike riding. Fortunately, the cars never get going all that fast on Melgar so keeping up with traffic is not that bad. Sometimes we'll just wrap a trip to Mega into our walk into town for dinner. There's good ice cream on the first floor, too. Besides, at Mega you can get all of your shopping for deli items, bread, motor oil, house paint, pool toys, and scooters all in one place. :cool:

Thanks. I appreciate all the responses. I guess my personal catch is I am not looking to cook or grocery shop on vacation so lovely sounding places like the Villas are not ideal for me. That's kind of a bummer because the resort itself is what I am looking for.

Yup to all of the above. Took the fam on a Mega run after walking to Aldora Divers (taxi back for 5 of us was 150 pesos). We should have eaten out more (Bajau was great, but I suspect we missed out on a *lot*). For breakfast, though, cooking it yourself is your only real option if you're getting picked up at the dock. I rolled into town around 7am on a bike, and besides coffee, most everything was closed. But again, I suspect I'd have found some options had I bothered with some research in advance.

Thanks. I appreciate all the responses. I guess my personal catch is I am not looking to cook or grocery shop on vacation so lovely sounding places like the Villas are not ideal for me. That's kind of a bummer because the resort itself is what I am looking for.
Just because there is a kitchen doesn't mean that you have to cook if you don't wanna.

EDIT: I got a very angry PM from Dave Dillehay concerning this post, so let me make myself clear. I was encouraging you to stay at Villa Aldora regardless of the kitchen. Even if you don't want to cook, there are plenty of great places to eat within a cheap cab ride of VA. I don't see how what I wrote could have been interpreted as me trying to talk you out of staying there, but I hope it is clear now.

Just because there is a kitchen doesn't mean that you have to cook if you don't wanna.

EDIT: I got a very angry PM from Dave Dillehay concerning this post, so let me make myself clear. I was encouraging you to stay at Villa Aldora regardless of the kitchen. Even if you don't want to cook, there are plenty of great places to eat within a cheap cab ride of VA. I don't see how what I wrote could have been interpreted as me trying to talk you out of staying there, but I hope it is clear now.
See above.

I’ll add in that Villa Aldora is a fantastic place to stay. I’m disappointed that it was already booked up when I was planning my October trip.

I’ll add in that Villa Aldora is a fantastic place to stay. I’m disappointed that it was already booked up when I was planning my October trip.
DEAR ONGRADE,

WE JUST HAD TWO CANCELLATIONS OCT5-12.

CHECK AGAIN

DAVE DILLEHAY

Back
Top Bottom