Alabama & Tennessee here I come ;)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well I leave in about two weeks for Alabama, and it turns out I'll spending Christmas with relatives in Chatanooga. I still don't have my itinerary as to days off, but will probably be free for diving on December 15,17 & 22 in Oxford, AL and the 24th in Chatanooga, TN.

anyway - I do have a couple of questions...

1) anyone free (schedules permitting) on one of those days for some lake or quarry diving? (I know a couple of you offered earlier this year, but I didn't have a schedule then)

2) What can I do for undergarments in my Dry Suit for your water temps (yes I've been diving dry in Hawaii lol) I have a wide assortment of Polypro long johns and wool sweaters from cold weather camping trips. Would 2 pair of expedition weight long Johns for pants and a wool sweater over a polypro top be enough ? or will I need more? Since this is a one time thing, I don't want to spend more on undergarments which will most like not get used much/if at all after this.

Aloha, and looking forward to meeting some of you :)

Tim

P.S. Here's the thread I posted back in March about this ... http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=92361&highlight=alabama

Oxford is a stone's throw to PelHam where Alabama Blue Water ( http://www.divealabama.com/ ) quarry is and about 1 1/2 hours from where I live. Blue Water currently is open only on Saturdays from 9:00am till dark, so the 17th is your only available dive day. Blue Water is a bit cold now and I don't have a dry suit but hey I'm game (if I can get a kitchen pass). PM me.

P.S. Don't forget to declare you football allegiance when you cross into Alabama (Alabama or Auburn).
WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks RocketMan... Blue Water quarry looks pretty close, I had to laugh a bit when I saw an entrance fee ... boy are we spoiled in Hawaii - all beaches are public and access cannot be denied to the public... The 17th will probably be the best attempt... maybe it's time to get that drysuit? Personally I'm really enjoying mine.

Aloha, Tim

P.S. PM sent

RocketMan:
P.S. Don't forget to declare you football allegiance when you cross into Alabama (Alabama or Auburn).
WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep... WAR EAGLE!!!

In case you forgot about SEC Football here.... you can refresh your memory on the "rules" of Alabama Football and Sotherners here

http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1024762&postcount=23

Also to add a little new information for your visit, when someone here asks...
Brodie got sacked 11 times. (Important to know in Alabama)

kidspot:
thanks RocketMan... Blue Water quarry looks pretty close, I had to laugh a bit when I saw an entrance fee ... boy are we spoiled in Hawaii - all beaches are public and access cannot be denied to the public...

Well most of the beaches here are public access but this isn't the ocean.

The quarry is on private property and is maintained by a private company
who has built docks and walkways, etc. Since they own the quarry also
they have insurance liability too . They also have showers, bathrooms,
and other facilities there onsite, so that explains the fees some.

When you go to some of the quarries that don't have as much in facilities,
you can tell the difference.

Makes perfect sense, I'm just from a part of the country with virtually no lakes, so it's a novel idea... our taxes over here go toward putting restrooms, showers bbqs and tables at most of our beaches... but that's another issue all together...

"If" someone had a private spot here it would not be available at all for anyone... so it's nice folks over there have made their property available for people to use.

Like I said, wer'e spoiled over here :wink:

Aloha, Tim

The clothing for the dry suit you mention should be sufficient. You may get a bit chilled, but probably more from head and extremity heat loss. I would dive with you in Chattanooga (river or a quarry about 45 minutes away) but will probably being doing a dive trip to Florida. PM me, and if I'm going to be around well try to get a dive in.

Thanks Octotat,

I do have a 7mil hood, only 3mil gloves though, but may be making a pair of dry gloves if the parts arrive soon...

You can dive free at most spots on the gulf, but there are only a few shore diving spots out there. The AL jetties, the whiskey wreck (both in Gulf Shores), maybe the pensacola Jetties. In Destin the East Pass jetties and maybe Crystal Pier pilings). Then the St Andrews Jetties in Panama City (but in state park which has entrance fee). You can also dive several springs in Florida that the land is either state owned or reachable via the public watersways access laws. But some springs property is privately owned and they have dive facilites there and charge an admission fee.

Hey Mike, want to get cold? Come on you know you do. Let’s try out layering those wetsuits (1 mm + 5mm). Oh, BTW you might want to get that hood. :) Maybe we should look into Phil's dry suit special at Dive Sports.

Back
Top Bottom