Akona opinions wanted

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptAl

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody ... time to seek your expert opinions.
I'm a BIG guy and require a 4X suit (no comments please) which somewhat limits availability. I see that Akona makes a reasonably priced 6.5mm 2-pc and I would appreciate any/all opinions of Akona suits.

Originally posted by CaptAl
Hello everybody ... time to seek your expert opinions.
I'm a BIG guy and require a 4X suit (no comments please) which somewhat limits availability. I see that Akona makes a reasonably priced 6.5mm 2-pc and I would appreciate any/all opinions of Akona suits.

Don't worry CaptAl, you won't be harrassed because you are a bigger guy on here! How do I know, it's because I am one too and have asked the same questions as you. I have a 3mil Akona Shorty and I like it a lot. It fits well and is also a 4x.

I have not tried the 2-pc but if you do let me know how it works out as I am shopping for one also. I would like to find a 3 mil full in 4x eventually. I may have to settle for 5 mil though!

Hi Al! I'm also a pretty big guy and have suffered no harrassment here! (Oh sure - some snickering from the peanut gallery as I slip into my wetsuit - but nothing too bad <S>)

Ihave a 3mm Akona Shorty (5x) that I anm very happy with. I did alot of research before purchasing - because I wanted to avoid the expense of a custom suit - and being 'larger than your average bear' this wasn't an easy task.

I purchased mine from Leisure Pro:

http://www.leisurepro.com/

as they had the best price on the Shorty. They list the 6.5 MM 2-piece in a 4XL for $174.95.

I thought about getting a 6 ml suit. Akona makes nice stuff and it's inexpensive at Leisurepro.com but here's the rub. Those suits are so hard to get on and off. And if you have a body that isn't just "off the rack"(I can barely get my thighs into any wetsuit let alone one that's 6 ml.) then it's not fun, it's exhausting,painful work to get in and out of. Here's the option: get a trilam drysuit!! Prices on dry suits are coming down all the time. With a tri-lam you can mix and match the undergarments as the diving conditions dictate. The only drawback is if you get a hole in a dry suit you're sunk(literally). I think the trilam is the way to go. Say "goodbye" to stinky, hard to get into wetsuits and "hello" to the new simple,convenient,toasty, world of dry suit diving!!!

I have the one piece 7mil and its a great suit for the price. Very comfortable, flexible, and warm.

I have a 6.5 farmer jon and there is no problem getting in and out of it.

I only use a large 7mm and 3mm suit, but I like them and have no issues at all with them, great suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom