Airport taxi warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh, ok, so you are saying there is a rule about the airport, but maybe the police were preventing taxi pickup off airport property where the is, likey, no rule?

I have no 100% knowledge one way or the other. In the past I have read statements that there is no problem once off of airport property. I have no written confirmation from the police, taxi union "leaders" or Charlie the tuna.

I have read in the past that you needed to be past the traffic circle on 65th.

Last edited:
Am I the only one who doesn't mind starting their vacation off with an air conditioned van ride with a lot of interesting fellow travelers to talk with where someone else schleps my luggage for me right to the door of my hotel for only $8??

*crickets*

Yep, I guess so. :wink:

Couple of things here regarding taxis. Yes, "techically" the taxis and airport shuttles are same union. A lot of shuttles are owned by taxistas. However, the airport is considered a "Federal" Zone. You need Federal permits to operate there. The taxis in Cozumel operate on "Municipal" permits. Hence they cannot pick up at the airport. It is even frowned upon picking up fares outside of the airport ( out by car rentals) but not illegal.

Am I the only one who doesn't mind starting their vacation off with an air conditioned van ride with a lot of interesting fellow travelers to talk with where someone else schleps my luggage for me right to the door of my hotel for only $8??

Not at all. As a matter of fact I have said as much many times. New around here? :D

Not at all. As a matter of fact I have said as much many times. New around here? :D
I just appreciate not having to start my trip haggling with a cab driver about the fare. It's nice to buy a ticket according to a posted schedule of fares and simply hand the shuttle driver a ticket.

It is even frowned upon picking up fares outside of the airport ( out by car rentals) but not illegal.
Illegal or not, the police occasionally shut down the practice of cabs picking up fares out there, which was this thread was originally about.

I just appreciate not having to start my trip haggling with a cab driver about the fare. It's nice to buy a ticket according to a posted schedule of fares and simply hand the shuttle driver a ticket.

I agree with this. I hate haggling. I just want to buy things for the price I'm told. Every time I over pay for something and the vendor is thinking what a sucker I am, I just laugh to myself about the scene from Life of Brian where he is too rushed to haggle. I can't be bothered with it for most things.

I agree with this. I hate haggling. I just want to buy things for the price I'm told. Every time I over pay for something and the vendor is thinking what a sucker I am, I just laugh to myself about the scene from Life of Brian where he is too rushed to haggle. I can't be bothered with it for most things.

I'm lousy at it too. I always pay more than the going rate.

I know it's the culture to bargain for everything, but it's a pain when you come from a culture that's used to paying what's on the price tag.

Also, it doesn't make sense to me that you can haggle with a cabbie over the fare over haggle with a shopkeeper over his or her wares, but you can't haggle in a restaurant or bar. I want to go to a bar, order a margarita, and when it arrives and I'm asked for $5, I'll counter with $3.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2014 at 10:44 AM ----------

I'm lousy at it too. I always pay more than the going rate.
I do that do. But then, instead of being annoyed by the haggling, I'm annoyed because I feel cheated :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom