Airport taxi warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This must depend on the cruise line and the perceived gullibility of their passengers. I took Holland America's Westerdam to Cozumel and don't recall any warnings of such danger.

Mass market- NCL, RCCL, Carnival all do this to a great degree. I've been told Celebrity does too.
The boat will leave you!

Mass market- NCL, RCCL, Carnival all do this to a great degree. I've been told Celebrity does too.
The boat will leave you!

Moss' boat was actually HOPING to leave him. He cut into their gambling revenues.

[youtubehq]2OKGjnLMX2g[/youtubehq]

I am still a little confused as to why tourists are not allowed to get a taxi outside the airport, and police are stopping it. What law is being broken? How far from the airport does it become legal to hail a cab?

I can understand a union rule, but I don't see why police involvement comes in. (Yes- it all goes back to money, and I'm sure the police are being bribed, but what grounds do they have to require people to walk back to the airport to get a shuttle.)

Don't make the mistake of assuming that the way things work in another country are (or even should be) the way things work in the USA.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that the way things work in another country are (or even should be) the way things work in the USA.

Well, it begs a good question: Who do the rules govern?

The boat will leave you!

Been on a bunch of cruises, yes the cruise ship will leave you behind if you miss it. Sure there is some hint of truth to scaring cruisers with being left behind, the most extent to it I've seen is just the fact that they do publish the fact that if you go off on your own and miss the ship you are on your own, but if you book through the ship, the ship will wait and not leave you. But for really 'scaring' people, I really haven't ever seen it or witnessed it.

What I have seen is plenty of nambie pambie cruisers on cruise forums giving the prophetic warning to anyone that will listen on any thread about excursions THE CRUISE SHIP WILL LEAVE YOU BEHIND!!!!!! I think the certain percentage of scared of their own shadow, sheeple type cruise ship people do more scaring about this then the cruise lines do by far. Too many of them are going on cruises because they are super cheap vacations and secondly they are so un-worldly and so sheltered, and one of their greatest fears is not only the unknown of being left behind in a foreign country, but the greater fears to their wallets if it would ever happen to them and the costs of getting back to the ship.

Well, it begs a good question: Who do the rules govern?
I don't know why you ask that. My point was that the question of "what law did they violate" assumes that there must have been a law broken for the police to take action. That is not necessarily the case in a different country, system of jurisprudence, etc. I lived and worked in Peru for a year or so while it was under a military dictatorship - it was a long time ago and I don't know anything about conditions there now. The way the law works in this country and the way it worked and was enforced then and there were markedly different. That's not to say that either is better or worse, necessarily, just different.

Moss' boat was actually HOPING to leave him. He cut into their gambling revenues.
Not that far from the truth, but it wasn't me. My companion hit a $5,000 jackpot on the slots, then a $1,000 jackpot a couple days later. She really got her money's worth since I paid for the cruise :)

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 12:37 PM ----------

Been on a bunch of cruises, yes the cruise ship will leave you behind if you miss it. Sure there is some hint of truth to scaring cruisers with being left behind, the most extent to it I've seen is just the fact that they do publish the fact that if you go off on your own and miss the ship you are on your own, but if you book through the ship, the ship will wait and not leave you. But for really 'scaring' people, I really haven't ever seen it or witnessed it.
I'm sure it was there somewhere in all the literature they pile on you, and I'm sure they probably said something in their shore excursion sales pitches, but I never attended those. Other than an admonition to be back on the boat at a certain time that was played over the loudspeakers, any "scaring" must have been pretty low key on our boat.

That said, the "insurance" of going with a cruise excursion can be useful if the excurision involves a long drive or remote locale that could potentially subject the vehicle to delays. It would suck to miss the ship and have to fork over the cash for plane fare to somehow get from point C to point D where there are no direct flights just because your non-cruise-sanctioned excursion vehicle broke down on a remote road on the long drive back to the dock.

But we didn't do any excursions on the Cozumel cruise, just set off on foot in all the ports. Now I know that Puerto Maya is about a 5-mile walk into town :) We got a taxi back.

I don't know why you ask that. My point was that the question of "what law did they violate" assumes that there must have been a law broken for the police to take action. That is not necessarily the case in a different country, system of jurisprudence, etc. I lived and worked in Peru for a year or so while it was under a military dictatorship - it was a long time ago and I don't know anything about conditions there now. The way the law works in this country and the way it worked and was enforced then and there were markedly different. That's not to say that either is better or worse, necessarily, just different.

Oh i see where you are coming from. That is an aspect for consideration. However, since the taxis do not enter the airport to pick up even when the police are not present, we must assume there is rule most likely?

Oh i see where you are coming from. That is an aspect for consideration. However, since the taxis do not enter the airport to pick up even when the police are not present, we must assume there is rule most likely?

I have been picked up by a taxi in the same general area after arriving at the airport as I have when I stayed at a small hotel in that area....not on obvious airport property.

I have been picked up by a taxi in the same general area after arriving at the airport as I have when I stayed at a small hotel in that area....not on obvious airport property.

Oh, ok, so you are saying there is a rule about the airport, but maybe the police were preventing taxi pickup off airport property where the is, likey, no rule?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom