Airport taxi warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pelagicsal

Dedicated Dive Bum
Reaction score
A half-mile norte del Centro, Cozumel, Mx.
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just posted on Facebook by Cozumel Diving:
The police are monitoring traffic at the airport. They are stopping taxis from picking up airline passengers. I have seen several groups of people march it all the way back to the terminal. If you plan to walk out of the airport and avoid the shared van, you might want to rethink that. You might be in for a very long walk.
Options for this story
:idk:

Are the taxi's considerably less pricier than the Vans?

I guess it is relative. It would be for us, as we are close to the airport. I wonder if since the taxis are up in arms about the water taxis, the van guys decided to get up in arms about the taxis at the airport?

It might be a tad cheaper for a taxi, but not worth the hassle for me. After traveling, since the night before, dragging all my luggage outside the airport to flag down a van taxi is a no go. We have 3 big suitcases and 4 heavy carry on's (guess who lugs the lionshare). I'll stick with the vans.....:cool2:

For solo travelers heading to southern AIs, the shuttles are a much better deal.

If there is only one of you.
For the Sabor, we paid just about the same for our shuttle ride (228 pesos total) and our cab ride back (290 pesos, although for the record we were mostly out of pesos so we paid half of it with pesos and the other half with dollars at the 10:1 rate). It's less than a $5 difference, 31 pesos per person. I'm not sure that's a "much better deal". Especially if you have to wait for the van to fill up and aren't the first stop. If there are 3 or 4 people, it's a better deal to take the taxi (not sure what the taxi rate is for more than 4).

The shuttle was fine, but overall it just seems ridiculous to not allow taxis at the airport. I've never heard of another city that does that.

really don't see the point in doing the bag drag outside the airport anyway. the shuttles get you to your lodging just fine.

Right, and normally without much of a wait. Even close to the airport I doubt the taxi fare is much cheaper. OTOH, I wonder what law is being violated, especially if it's off airport property.

I would walk out and get a taxi anyway. I do not care for the vans. On the street is not on airport property.

If there is only one of you.
For the Sabor, we paid just about the same for our shuttle ride (228 pesos total) and our cab ride back (290 pesos, although for the record we were mostly out of pesos so we paid half of it with pesos and the other half with dollars at the 10:1 rate). It's less than a $5 difference, 31 pesos per person. I'm not sure that's a "much better deal". Especially if you have to wait for the van to fill up and aren't the first stop. If there are 3 or 4 people, it's a better deal to take the taxi (not sure what the taxi rate is for more than 4).

The shuttle was fine, but overall it just seems ridiculous to not allow taxis at the airport. I've never heard of another city that does that.
For solo travelers, there is usually just one of us unless you're seeing double. If you paid 228 pesos, then I paid 114 pesos. 114 pesos is a much better deal than 290 pesos, IMO.

And even for two travelers, given the whining some people do around here over a lousy $5, apparently saving $5 can be a "much better deal" as well.

Waiting for the van to fill up never bothered me too much since the drivers usually put the A/C on. An added bonus to the solo traveler is that it's easier to score the shotgun seat and not be crammed in like sardinas (Mexican sardines). And stopping at other hotels gives one a glimpse inside the gates (at the southern AIs, not so for in-town drops) which can be useful for planning future trips.

You are correct that taxis are cheaper for groups. What annoyed me on my second-to-last trip was my ride from the Occidental back to the airport. A couple that I had met earlier in the trip were leaving and I thought I could share a cab with them, split the fare 3 ways. But they had prepaid vouchers of some sort, so fare sharing was out of the question. When their cab arrived, a van, the driver had me get in too. Great, I thought, maybe I'll get a break. Nope, he ended up charging me the full freight. I could have had a fit and started screaming profanities at the driver in front of the airport, but it was my fault for not negotiating it in advance. No biggie anyway since the ride was comfortable enough and I would have had to pay for my own taxi. Bonus was that I saved on a tip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom