Airport Suggestions Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The long way is "Card Sound Road" It has $1 toll but it is a very pretty drive. Normally the hurricanes don't cause a problem until Sept-Oct...but unless KL gets a direct hit things clear out pretty fast

The toll road is the way to go.... I can't remember the toll costs, but they aren't that much. maybe 75 cents per booth and about 4 booths each way from FLL. Well worth the toll consider you can cruise in very little traffic all the way down. If you get stuck in wrecks on US 1, then you'll wish you paid the tolls cause you would already be there!. You're on vacation. enjoy it. get stuck in traffic at home :)

US 1 is being improved as we speak. It appears that a major portion of it around Surprise Lake is being four laned. So far the construction has not caused any delays. I have been driving down US1 since 1985 at least 1-2 times per year and have never been delayed by accident. An occasional break down but the police clears them pretty fast.

Once you pass Florida City you are on Island time anyway. Just keep the cooler iced down whenever you do have to stop. The party never ends!

If I fly (from Philly) SWA to FLL is very cheap. Miami airport is a zoo. Renting a car at Miami Intl is the pits.

I agree that FLL is the airport of choice for most of the "locals". MIA is just TOO crazy!!!!!

Card Sound Rd vs "The Stretch"---go with Card Sound it's a tad longer, but there is LESS traffic and a much nicer drive. (Well worth the $1 toll) It's my choice whenever I have to travel to the "mainland". If you take Card Sound--consider stopping at Alabama Jacks for lunch. They have the worlds best conch fritters!! (and they were even featured on food network)

Hi peter st somewhere is right . Flights into FtLauderdale can be cheaper. Checkk them out. The only thing is that you are 2-2.5 hrs from Key Largo instead of 45-1.0 hr from Miami, but its a good drive if you not pressed for time.

http://www.oceanpointesuites.com/. Check out good lodging
THERE ARE MANY DIVE SHOPS. Captain Slates is great but Rainbow Reef is better. The thing of it is to call the day b4 to find out where the boats are going. I utilize both shops depending on where they are going. I love the keys. Check out The snapper inn great food Be sure to try the wrecks they are fantastic have a great time

You can fly into Marathon, 50 miles from Key Largo, from Fort Lauderdale on Florida Coastal Airlines.

They fly SMALL planes into Marathon with Coastal. If the plane is full on a hot day, they might delay your luggage (and dive gear) until a later flight.

Are they even still in business?

RonFrank:
Does your future wife dive?

Congradulations on the pending marriage, and welcome to the board.

Hey thanks so much for the welcome everyone. Actually my Future wife is who got me interested in diving. She is a native Floridian of Destin, but never has dove in the keys before. I have heard only the best of things in Key Largo, so that was where i wanted my destination to be.

She has a Advanced Open Water, so she'll be way ahead of me for a long while before i get there at least. Im going to get certified VERY soon pending a church member wanting to get certified w/me.

I hate to change this thread's topic because i still would like everyones suggestions on getting to Key Largo, but If someone could give me links to another thread......I guess i would also like to ask if you guys have any suggestions about dive operations and the best sites to look out for and does any of the ones suggested have restriction? Such as Basic or Advance diving only?

-p-

By far, the most popular dive site in Key Largo is the Spiegel Grove but is an advanced dive due to it's depth. You could consider taking the advanced course prior to your trip and diving the Grove while you're there... it is a great dive. If you choose not to, there are various other good dives. I thought Mollasses Reef was pretty nice.

I dove with Silent World - - they were pretty good. Others can give you better advice on other shops... I plan to dive with Conch Republic or Blue Waters next time (they were both booked during my trip in February).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom