Airport Suggestions Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pdogg6

New
Reaction score
Hi,

My name is Peter. I just join on scubaboard. I wanted to make a trip to Key Largo for my Honeymoon and do some diving. I have heard very good things about it. I going to get my OW certification very soon when it warms up alittle in AL. Im traveling in August. Is it a good idea with Hurricane season and all, going to Key Largo?

Wanted to know the most efficient way to get to Key Largo. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions on close airports to land in and maybe take a short drive to Key Largo.

pdogg6:
Hi,

My name is Peter. I just join on scubaboard. I wanted to make a trip to Key Largo for my Honeymoon and do some diving. I have heard very good things about it. I going to get my OW certification very soon when it warms up alittle in AL. Im traveling in August. Is it a good idea with Hurricane season and all, going to Key Largo?

Wanted to know the most efficient way to get to Key Largo. Wondering if you guys have any suggestions on close airports to land in and maybe take a short drive to Key Largo.
Fort Lauderdale is only 90 minutes from Key Largo as well. As you mentioned the weather is unpredictable in Florida in August. But really, it's unpredictable any time.

I wouldn't "not go" because of a potential threat of a hurricane. They can strike any time from May - October, so just go for it, and don't worry about the weather. Key Largo is the American Caribbean, so enjoy.

Definetly check out rates to both Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. When we flew down Ft. Lauderdale was cheaper and is only 30miles difference.

Miranda

Fish_Whisperer:
Miami Airport is closest. Only 40-60 minutes away from Key Largo. I just got back. If you drive, it's best to go the "long way" around, rather than taking Highway 1. Congratulations on your marriage and good luck on your trip.

Is Highway 1 to Key Largo really busy or something? And is Card Sound Rd the long way?

pdogg6

Card Sound Rd is the long way, but US1 isn't usually that bad to travel. Well, no worse than it usually is.

As has already been said, Miami and Ft Lauderdale are the closest airports.

Hurricane season runs from June 1 to December 1 with the majority of keys hurricanes coming later rather than earlier in the season. Long time locals say our main season is September/October. If you book a trip in August, I'd recommend trip insurance just in case, but chances are pretty good you'll be able to do the trip.

Rachel

Does your future wife dive?

There is a LOT to do in Florida. If you wife does NOT dive, by all means she can enjoy Largo, however I'd suggest not spending the entire trip there.

There is great diving to be had along most of the lower East Coast from Jupiter (which I think maybe a bit advanced for a newly certified diver) all the way down to the lower Keys.

If your wife (to be) is into beach and sun, you may have a better time diving off an area like WestPalmBeach where the diving is great, and the beaches are great as well. It will be HOT and Humid in Aug.

The Keys have very little in the way of beaches.

Our favorite beaches in FL are on the Gulf side, but the diving is not as good there.

We base where we fly into on pricing. Lauderdale is generally less expensive vs. Miami. We have also flown into Orlando, and we do the Disney thing for a day before heading down to S.FL.

Just some stuff to kick around! As you are not diving yet, I'd basically not suggest an entire vacation revolving around doing an activity you are not familiar with even if I think you are going to love diving.

If you wife dives, then an entire Honeymoon in Largo maybe your best option. If your wife does not dive, I think a week in Largo is going to be pushing things depending upon what types of activities she is into. Do NOT make the mistake of getting on a boat every day, and being gone from 7:00am -1:00pm assuming she is going to be fine with that during your honeymoon! My non-diving wife can get boared with my diving, and she has a son to keep her company.

Congradulations on the pending marriage, and welcome to the board.

pdogg6:
Is Highway 1 to Key Largo really busy or something? And is Card Sound Rd the long way?

pdogg6

We started out on Highway 1. They'd had a wreck at 9:45 that morning, but we went through around 2 in the afternoon. Traffic was backed up for MILES, and nothing was moving at all. We sat there for about forty minutes, and then turned around. We stopped for lunch, and one of the locals said, "Pfft... The only people who use Highway 1 are tourists." The "long way" is only four miles longer.

Fish_Whisperer:
We started out on Highway 1. They'd had a wreck at 9:45 that morning, but we went through around 2 in the afternoon. Traffic was backed up for MILES, and nothing was moving at all. We sat there for about forty minutes, and then turned around. We stopped for lunch, and one of the locals said, "Pfft... The only people who use Highway 1 are tourists." The "long way" is only four miles longer.
I always take HWY 1. It's faster (usually) - Any road in FL can be shut down by traffic and/or a crash... They happen all too often. I use my XM radio for updates, and check the traffic on line before going anywhere.
http://squaretop.host.maptuit.com/fdot/?config=TrafficW.FDOT&aoi=8

I always find that flights into FLL are cheaper than MIA. This week's flight was actually $120 cheaper RT to fly into TPA vs. FLL and $220 cheaper than MIA so this time I went that route. Also, a lot of luggage -- or parts of luggage -- seem to go MIA while going through MIA...

The Overland highway is fine, except when it isn't. The parts that are one lane each direction can easily be shutdown in an accident, so don't plan on hurrying to someplace in the keys at the last minute as it may not work out the way you had hoped. Something to think about...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom