Airport shuttle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[

There's "policy" and there's "what is done". When it comes to Cozumel taxis and airport vans, those are not necessarily related to each other.[/QUOTE]

So.....when I arrive and tell the head guy I want to go to Hotel Cozumel will he quote the 96 pesos for the shared van or must one bargain to get the official price?

So.....when I arrive and tell the head guy I want to go to Hotel Cozumel will he quote the 96 pesos for the shared van or must one bargain to get the official price?
None of the above.

There's a ticket window. You tell the lady behind the window (it's always been a lady every time I've been there) where you're headed and she charges you the official rate based on the schedule posted on the wall behind her. You only need to worry about whether you're being ripped off when negotiating with taxis on the street.

Except when the lady decides to rip you off on the exchange. 96 pesos = $10 on the evening of March 15. Make sure you have some pesos handy.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Except when the lady decides to rip you off on the exchange. 96 pesos = $10 on the evening of March 15. Make sure you have some pesos handy.
In my experience, the exchange rate has been clearly posted and adhered to. I actually find it one of the best places to use U.S. dollars because they even give change in dollars. Can't speak for Canadian dollars, however.

Having pesos handy before getting to the ticket window means I brought pesos with me or else exchanged at the airport before leaving (bad rate) or at the bank (bad service charge).

or at the bank (bad service charge).

Anyone who hasn't checked before, it is worth checking with your bank. Our (Wells Fargo) did not charge us a service charge. (Non account holders pay $5, regardless of transaction size.) We thought it was worth it to have some pesos ahead of time.

Next time, I think we'd actually get more- as we ended up paying our final cab ride in half pesos/half dollars (10-1); but mostly we just used a credit card except tips, shuttles and taxis.

Anyone who hasn't checked before, it is worth checking with your bank. Our (Wells Fargo) did not charge us a service charge. (Non account holders pay $5, regardless of transaction size.) We thought it was worth it to have some pesos ahead of time.

Next time, I think we'd actually get more- as we ended up paying our final cab ride in half pesos/half dollars (10-1); but mostly we just used a credit card except tips, shuttles and taxis.
You got Mexican Pesos are the bank without a charge? Sweet...!

Did you get charged a foreign fee on your credit card use? WF has changed their policy so many times that I don't remember.

Did you get charged a foreign fee on your credit card use? WF has changed their policy so many times that I don't remember.
Bank of America charges $7.50 for orders less than $1,000 US worth, plus they admit making money off the "spread".

Last time I did it (Indonesian Rupiah) when the threshold was only $600, I realized it ended up costing me about $40 for the "free" transaction. I'd rather take my chances on getting a lousy exchange rate onsite or using my no transaction fee credit card wherever possible.

Still have pesos from the last trip. Sounds like prearranging a shuttle is unnecessary even with a bad window lady.

Did you get charged a foreign fee on your credit card use?

We have one card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee, and another that does, but it is really small and the card gets better rewards. Depending on the size of the purchase, we choose between them.

Back
Top Bottom