Airplanes, Colds, Medicines and Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have flown a dozen times over the last few years and, about half the time, I have come down with a cold a few days after the flight.

Seems to me I read somewhere that it increases fuel consumption for an airliner to bring new cold fresh air in from outside, so airlines try to cut costs by recycling more germ-laden air back to the passengers.

So: We arrive at Bonaire on a Saturday at 4:30 in the morning after a red-eye flight from San Diego. During the flight I am careful to wash my hands often and not to touch my face. On Tuesday evening, right on schedule, my throat starts to hurt, and by Wednesday morning I have a full-blown head cold.

Having gone through this routine many times, I take two Advil Cold & Sinus (200 mg Ibuprofen and 30 mg Pseudoephedrine HCL, each). This clears up the dripping but makes me a teensy bit drowsy.

PADI advises not to dive with a cold, but I say screw it and go diving anyway. I feel fine, the diving is fine, no problems clearing ears, etc. but I DO experience a little dizzyness on ascents.

SO - my questions are:

Why do I catch colds after flying?
Are some airlines better than others, cold-wise?
How can I avoid catching a cold after flying? Would a mask be effective?
What causes the dizzyness when ascending?
Am I "gonna die" if I scuba dive on Advil?

Allow me to take a couple of swings at this.

Since fresh air is bled from the engines and the a/c packs are also powered by the engines, then it does make sense that there are fuel economies to be had by reducing power drains from engine accessories and in doing so, recirculating cabin air. Even so, AFAIK complete air change occurs every 2-4min which is higher than most offices. Also, HEPA filters are almost certainly in the circuit.

Obviously, being confined in close-quarters to people and furnishings which may be infected with who-knows-what isn't a good thing. Then there's the fatigue and stress of travel* which can suppress the immune system. The defensive mucus membranes take a hit from the extremely dry cabin air; which is IIRC, somewhere < 20%.

Best advice is to be conscious of things brought near your face, frequently wash your hands, and do your best to travel relaxed. The use of facemasks is problematic. First of all, the main reason to wear a facemask is to keep one's germs to one's self, not to be protected from other's germs/viruses. The way to be protected from others is to wear a well-fitted respirator which is a step up from a facemask in terms of cost, bulk, maintenance, and training.**

*The "I-need-a-vacation-from-vacation" syndrome.
**I'd imagine that showing up with a germ-warfare grade respirator is a good way to get the passionate attentions of the TSA.

cutlass covered most of your questions.

It's no secret. The simplest things you could do to prevent getting sick while traveling include: frequent hand-washing, getting enough sleep, staying well-hydrated, staying relaxed, and eating a balanced diet. I'd skip the facemask. Some studies have suggested that people who have lots of friends (develop immunity to more bugs?) and who exercise tend to have more robust immune systems (get sick less often).

What's strange is that an ibuprofen/pseudoephedrine mix would give you a touch of drowsiness. If anything, I'd expect the pseudoephedrine to make you unable to fall asleep and nervous/edgy, since pseudoephedrine acts as a sympathomimetic. The ibuprofen really shouldn't make you feel drowsy. Perhaps you were tired from the long flight combined with the physical activity of diving and the stress of fighting off a head cold.

Many things could be causing the dizziness you reported. Near the top of the list would be a known side effect of pseudoephedrine. Alternobaric vertigo secondary to the decongestant is also possible.

No, you won't die from diving with Advil onboard...provided that you don't have any allergies to that class of medication. In fact, it might actually decrease the probability of DCS (if it is true that an inflammatory mechanism is at the root of DCS).

The first time I went to Bonaire, I ended up getting sick on the first day. I sat out one afternoon dive. :D

Dehydration is another problem on planes. They do not humidify air that is introduced from outside, which is like totally dry, so the only humidity on the plane is from the respiration and sweat of the passengers. TMI? Couple that was drinking less to avoid lines for the shared lavatory, and it can get bad. Many encourage drinking more hydrating liquids on the plane but I just sleep and avoid going to the lavatories that tend to get trashed at times - then hydrate like hell as soon as I get to my hotel and for the rest of the trip, with dehydration being a major risk to Decompression Illness.

Well I don't care what anyone says...I've been diving for 24 years and each time I've had a cold I go for a dive or two over a couple of days. I find from experience that this really clears my sinuses and head cold. Sure i don't dive deep as this would really push the limits to your envelope. Obviously the agencies can not condone this sort of thing, nor will you find any doctors and medicos advocating that you do this but it really works. I've suggested it to all that I take diving with me over the years and recently a few have commented that they too have noticed an improvement of their colds having dived. You need to be an experienced diver to maintain slow and efficient breathing at all times and keep those ascents slow, so a shore dive is the best option.

cheers,

GB

How can I avoid catching a cold after flying?
I used to frequently get a cold a few days after flying.
Started using saline nasal spray before flights. Since then, not a single post-flight cold.
Anecdotal? Yep. Coincidence? Unlikely.
Psychosomatic? Perhaps. Do I care? Nope - it works for me.

We do 2 things when flying to prevent the dreaded airplane sickness.

Saline spray for the nose as stated, the air inside a plane is drier then the Sahara dessert at high noon. Also second the drinking water part, there are bathrooms on the plane.

The also make this stuff called "Airborne" its like an mix of vitamins and who knows what. But it was made by a school teacher that, well, got sick of getting sick in the schools. I take one in the morning and at night starting the day before we fly and take it until a day after we stop flying.

Have not been sick from an airplane in a long time now.

We do 2 things when flying to prevent the dreaded airplane sickness.

Saline spray for the nose as stated, the air inside a plane is drier then the Sahara dessert at high noon. Also second the drinking water part, there are bathrooms on the plane.

The also make this stuff called "Airborne" its like an mix of vitamins and who knows what. But it was made by a school teacher that, well, got sick of getting sick in the schools. I take one in the morning and at night starting the day before we fly and take it until a day after we stop flying.

Have not been sick from an airplane in a long time now.
Saline spray and hydrating are good preventions altho I hate lavatories on planes. I doubt that Airborne is helping that much tho; lots of disciplinary actions against the product, a warning on the Vitamin C overdose if you follow directions, a fad...
The Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI) participated in the class action lawsuit against Airborne. Their senior nutritionist had this to say:

"There's no credible evidence that what's in Airborne can prevent colds or protect you from a germy environment," said CSPI senior nutritionist David Schardt, who reviewed Airborne's claims. "Airborne is basically an overpriced, run-of-the-mill vitamin pill that's been cleverly, but deceptively, marketed."

The ingredients are on the label, talk to your doc. I think I stated its a mix of vitamins in my first post.

Personally, whether anecdotal or not, I find it helps.

Not much to contribute medically, here. Psuedoephedrine does make me drowsy in small doses, I'm also one of the 10% that diphenhydramine affects as a stimulant, so those PM versions of pain relievers keep me awake.
When I travel, dive, and also at work, I keep a small bottle of sanitizer. They make ones sized specifically for air travel.

Also, a friend that flies often, swears by the saline nasal spray.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom