Airplanes, Colds, Medicines and Diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Found this at:

PC Today Article - Give The Cold Shoulder To The Common Cold

According to a study published in the JAMA that tested three flight scenarios, passengers were five, 23, and 113 times more likely to catch a cold on an airplane than on the ground. Rather than the vents, the study indicated the No. 1 culprit is that aircraft passengers are in close proximity for many hours at a time. If you spend any time close to sick individuals, you may breathe in their germs, which is why some people protect themselves by wearing surgical masks on planes. Another key factor is that the desert-like air in the cabin dries up your mucous system, and you become unable to filter out germs that enter your nose and mouth. To learn some simple ways to protect yourself in close quarters, see the “Traveling Healthy” sidebar.

Traveling Healthy
The following practical precautions and carry-on items can help protect your body against sickness.

Clean your area. A cold virus enters your body through your mouth, eyes, or nose, and hand contact is the most common way cold viruses are delivered. The common cold can survive up to three hours on most surfaces, so touching your seat, armrest, tray table, or window without first disinfecting it may not be wise. To be safe, bring along some disinfecting wipes, such as Wet Ones antibacterial moist towelettes, to sanitize the area around you.

Clean yourself. Washing your hands with warm, soapy water is the best way to remove germs and viruses. However, the cramped quarters of a plane or train may make getting out of your seat annoying to both you and your neighbors. Consider using antibacterial wipes or an antibacterial gel to remove germs from your hands. Because of current airplane restrictions to liquids and gels, antibacterial wipes are more convenient for flyers than liquid-based antibacterial products.

Stay hydrated. One of our body’s natural defense systems is the mucous in the nose and throat. Although it may not seem helpful, the sticky material prevents germs from entering your lungs and infecting your body. One way to keep your nose and throat moist is by simply drinking water. Hot tea can be especially helpful because the steam delivers additional moisture to your nose. The CDC also recommends that you carry a medicine-free saline nasal spray, so you can moisten your nose whenever it feels dry.

Change seats. If the person next to you is consistently sneezing or appears to be ill, try to move to another seat. If the flight doesn’t appear to be full, kindly ask the flight attendant to find you a different seat, preferably one not near someone else who may appear ill.

p.s. I tried Airborne once. I got sick to my stomach.

I'm sitting in Maui with the same "two days after flying" head cold that the original poster described. Fortunately I got in two days of diving before it hit. My head stopped up and I can't clear my sinuses; I can get the ears to clear, but I get really bad sinus squeeze from 10 ft dives while snorkeling. What I'd like to know is what meds are most effective for drying up, at least temporarily, my head so I can get some diving in.

I'm sitting in Maui with the same "two days after flying" head cold that the original poster described. Fortunately I got in two days of diving before it hit. My head stopped up and I can't clear my sinuses; I can get the ears to clear, but I get really bad sinus squeeze from 10 ft dives while snorkeling. What I'd like to know is what meds are most effective for drying up, at least temporarily, my head so I can get some diving in.
@CaptainHornblower: Decongestants. There are several OTC decongestants that might be helpful. Pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine can work wonders. Pseudoephedrine is bought behind the counter nowadays in the U.S. -- you have to ask the pharmacist specifically for it, but it is still widely available. (It's used as an ingredient for the production of Meth, so that's why the government is restricting its sale somewhat.) A Neti-pot (saline nasal rinse) might work well and has none of the side effects of pseudoephedrine. You should be able to find any of these items at a local drug store.

If you do go with an OTC decongestant, make sure that you get a sufficiently long-acting formulation so that it won't stop working during your dive. Reverse blocks can be dangerous and very painful.

If you do have a head cold, perhaps the best advice would be to take it easy and do activities at 1 atm. Get enough rest. Stay well-hydrated. Eat well. Enjoy the beach. Restrict snorkeling to the surface of the water. There's lots to see and do on Maui besides diving.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom