Airline losing all the gear + mitigating the risks next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

re Insurance. All Travel and Insurance Policies I've seen have a 'Pairs & Sets' clause. Scuba Gear is considered a Set (or at least most of it would be, you could argue some items out, or argue cover your dive watch under the Watch Cover aspect of the policy, camera under that area etc etc). Therefore, as a 'Set' $ limit which is usually the same as a $ limit on a general item. Which tends to be low ~$500.

Most of the policies have tis low cover, but there is one that is from a local company that has $1,500, and a relatively generous limit on cameras and watches. BUT, it's a locally based company (OZ/NZ).

Also, please note, while your scuba gear is in use, it's usually not insured (in the Travel policies I've checked).

DAN trip insurance is a little more pricey, but I trust them. World Nomads is reliable and affordable. Shipping gear ahead of time as insured freight is also an option many of my friends use.
I've often thought how convenient it would be to ship my gear. However where do I ship it to and who is the receiver? For example, if I want to go on a liveaboard at Raja ampat, to whom do I ship my gear?

I try to pack everything I absolutely "need" in carry-on. For example, perscription mask, computer, 1st & 2nd stages, fins, backpack, harness & bladder, medications & if I can fit it, a 6cf pony. That stays with me, or at worst, is gate checked - so on the same plane.

Anything else that is lost, I can deal with after I get home - or in the case of clothes, I can do without or buy locally. I wear dive shorts under zip off pants and a nylon shirt on the trip so I have something to dive in straight away. Admittedly, I don't own (nor would I ever) a lot of expensive, bulky photographic equipment.

One other thing - I don't travel to very distant and exotic locations with multiple airlines and many plane changes/stopovers. Primarily I stick around the caribbean and at most have one plane change. That probably makes a big difference in the chance of checked bags being lost.

I already bought all the gear again as I cannot live without diving, but my questions are:
  1. Is there any way I can get more than 1.4k USD from them?
  2. What company do you use for gear insurance (non-US resident)
  3. What GPS tracked do you use for your checked baggage?
Thank you all for your answers.

Unfortunately, the airlines have fulfilled their obligation. All of my gear is personally insured through my home owners insurance. In the USA there are policies for those who own and those who rent. I do not GPS my bags.

I do not check any type of electronics because they are not covered. The airlines have a long list of exceptions.

I am very sorry that this happened to you. There is a saying about learning the hard (and often the expensive) way.

Unfortunately luggage will always get lost (mine always did going through Schiphol Airport but thankfully I wasn't diving at the time).

What you can do is try to minimise the effect by making sure you are insured for rental during the trip and replacement after it.

I've often thought how convenient it would be to ship my gear. However where do I ship it to and who is the receiver? For example, if I want to go on a liveaboard at Raja ampat, to whom do I ship my gear?

I recently shipped my gear ahead UPS; some didn't make it, and they aren't paying the claim. If you look through the threads I started you'll see it, if interested. I do not believe that UPS are materially better about paying their claims than the airlines are.

Shipping gear becomes complicated when you are traveling internationally, because the usual customs exemptions for accompanied items don't apply, leading to another set of unpredictable delays and extra expenses.

For domestic trips, you can ship ahead to a hotel or wherever you are staying, or possibly to the dive operator you are using. There are also UPS "hold for pickup" locations, though the locations and hours aren't always the most convenient. Most hotels are good about it, especially if you time it so that the package arrives the same day you do. Some may charge a fee or impose restrictions. I always call first and ask.

As I see it, the main advantage of shipping gear -- or other personal effects -- is that you do not have to handle the items during the trip. Over the years the distance between the baggage claim and whatever sort of parking or ground transportation one might choose has increased, and skycap service has become less readily available. Now that airlines are charging for checked bags, it's a wash financially, so it sometimes makes sense.

Doesn't DAN have a travel insurance? anyone have similar experience as the OP and collect from DAN?

Oooo where in Aus? The only place I found in Aus was Sydney and it was much more expensive.

I would advise against GPS tracking because:

a) you're not doing the job of the police
b) it tracks the location of the tracker, not your regs.

Just a lot of effort and money on your part, once the equipment is outside your country you're out of luck.

What police? Denmark, Canada, Mexico or whatever country it might land in? Police generally wont work on a civil matter so good luck with that. You basically are out 3k at this point so I would use a tracker in the future. If you push them from the start you can usually get vouchers to buy clothes and toiletries as well.

I say you do get a GPS and this one works well
Spy Tec STI GL300

Spy Tec STI GL300

This would seem to violate government regulations against transmitters operating in flight. It seems to me, to comply, a tracking device would need to turn itself off during flight--like a phone's "airplane mode"--and turn on again when the plane is on the ground. Having an active transmitter in one's baggage on a plane seems like it might invite confiscation if found.

What police? Denmark, Canada, Mexico or whatever country it might land in? Police generally wont work on a civil matter so good luck with that. You basically are out 3k at this point so I would use a tracker in the future. If you push them from the start you can usually get vouchers to buy clothes and toiletries as well.

Spy Tec STI GL300
These type of trackers have a very limited scope of use. This one requires access to a GPS signal and a Verizon cell phone signal, only in the USA. I would be interested to learn of an international model as the universal cell phone link is a challenge.

if your bag is burried in a pile of lost luggage in a warehouse somewhere it will not get either type of signal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom