Airline losing all the gear + mitigating the risks next time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In London, it didn't arrive in the first evening, but did in the second, but they would not deliver it to my accommodations, as it came via another airline. I just told them I would pick it up prior to my flight out at Heathrow.

I had the same experience in Greece this summer. It was a little awkward riding a moped with my fiancee's bag when it came, but it should have been delivered. The typical "not my problem" response from airlines everywhere.

Short of it: Make sure your accommodations refuse the luggage unless you're going to be there. It forces the airline to continue to forward it along.

Good tip!

This would seem to violate government regulations against transmitters operating in flight. It seems to me, to comply, a tracking device would need to turn itself off during flight--like a phone's "airplane mode"--and turn on again when the plane is on the ground. Having an active transmitter in one's baggage on a plane seems like it might invite confiscation if found.
Feck the TSA and other airport hassles who separate belongings from owners and cause unnecessary rubbish.

When I flew to Mexico (from Denmark) for some cave diving, I experienced every diver's worst fear while flying: all my gear got lost.

Usually, I put all the very expensive and heavy gear in my carry-on, as Air Canada, which I fly regularly, never checks the weight. But this time, I flew on last minute, so I chose WOW Air for CPH-YYZ and Westjet for YYZ-CUN. As I found out during check-in, they also check the weight of carry-on (my mistake to assume they would not), so they forced me to put most of my gear (3xMK25/620Ti+2x Perdix+2x primary+back-up lights, etc) to my checked luggage (not insured and not GPS tracked, both huge mistakes).

When I arrived at YYZ, I was told that the checked baggage was "delayed" and will be sent to CUN ASAP. Well, it took them 3 days to locate it again, after which they allegedly sent to CUN on WestJet flight. Aaand that was the last time when I heard about the baggage containing basically all my diving gear (listed above+wetsuit, fins, spools, etc).

Only now, after 4 months, they admitted that they actually lost the bag. After I claimed 5k USD compensation (I know, long shot) in lost gear and 920 USD for renting of backup gear they told me that "According to our Condition of Carriage and the Montreal Convention 1999 the maximum liability for checked international baggage is limited to 1.131,0 SDR/XDR." That means I am only entitled to approx 1.4k USD of compensation, both for the gear and the rental combined.

I already bought all the gear again as I cannot live without diving, but my questions are:
  1. Is there any way I can get more than 1.4k USD from them?
  2. What company do you use for gear insurance (non-US resident)
  3. What GPS tracked do you use for your checked baggage?
Thank you all for your answers.

Sorry for your losses...

All my gear...including everything else my wife and I own are covered under my home insurance policy under ''contents'' with some special riders for the ''good stuff''...regardless of where the contents may be at time of loss...

You've identified the the mistakes you've made...and undertaken corrective measures...under the circumstances...that's the best you can do...

You may also want to consider having a simplified kit that you travel with and your primary kit that stays at home...further most ''away'' dive operators that have something ''special'' to see will also have rental gear...for those certified...that will fulfill their ''specialty dive site requirements''...always check ahead...ask all the questions...

Some operators like the ones in Iceland that offer excursions to the ''Crack''...the fabulous Continental shelf site...will tell you up front...bring nothing but your C-Cards...as they have all the required gear for this cold water specialty dive...with regs specifically adjusted for site temperatures...and all the exposure protection...

Always contact your carrier ahead of time as well...and again...ask all the questions...avoids surprises at the check-in counter...

Be the proverbial Boy-Scout...BE PREPARED...

Safe Diving...
Warren...

... and never fly with ****** airlines!
I think this is the root of all of your problems. I know several people who have flown on WOW (usually between Toronto and Iceland) and not one of them was happy with the airline after their trip was over. It seems that lost or delayed luggage is pretty standard with WOW.

On the other hand, I have had nothing but good experiences with WestJet.

I am sorry for the way this has been handled. Low fares can be tempting, but unfortunately sometimes they cost far more in the long run.

You can insure your gear with any home-owners or renters policy. Even without a rider, you should have coverage, but with a deductible. I have my gear on a rider, so it's full replacement cost and no deductible. It costs around $1000 a year for the two of us, but our gear normally lives somewhere other than our house, so it's that or nothing.

But check with the company you have your regular insurance coverage with.

Make sure your accommodations refuse the luggage unless you're going to be there. It forces the airline to continue to forward it along.
Good advice, but that depends... I think some budget airlines do not deliver and leave it up to you to pick it up at the destination airport... possibly some time after you are not there anymore (if you travel on)... It may be worth while to read the fine print - if you can find it...

For your 4th question, "What do you do to circumvent this?" Cargo pants and a photographers vest. Everything that is heavy (first stages, camera lenses) is on my body. They can't do anything about that. That makes my carry on fairly light and when I'm on the plane and seated, I just transfer it back when the flight attendants are not around.
I will admit, my fiancee hates it when I do this. YMMV

You can insure your gear with any home-owners or renters policy. Even without a rider, you should have coverage, but with a deductible. I have my gear on a rider, so it's full replacement cost and no deductible. It costs around $1000 a year for the two of us, but our gear normally lives somewhere other than our house, so it's that or nothing.

But check with the company you have your regular insurance coverage with.

That's a lot of money. I hope that's to cover all your photo equipment, not just dive gear.

That's a lot of money. I hope that's to cover all your photo equipment, not just dive gear.

It's not actually. Because my gear lives at our summer place normally, it isn't covered under regular contents insurance. Just one more benefit of having two homes! :confused:

I've often thought how convenient it would be to ship my gear. However where do I ship it to and who is the receiver? For example, if I want to go on a liveaboard at Raja ampat, to whom do I ship my gear?
You ask them. Most have an office on shore that they have the booking and logistics people at.

Back
Top Bottom