Airline Cancun to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If everything works perfectly, like ground transportation to the FBO site where Mayair flies from, they have not "lost" your reservation, they do not charge you $200 for normal baggage, or they don't cancel the flight—you might like it. For me it is usually faster and less grief to bus and ferry. The bag drag is not much more of a problem.

Thats just my opinion, and as a local I only pay $40 for a Mayair flight.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS When I need to go to Cancun for business (without bags of course) I do fly over on Mayair, but come back by ferry.

Last edited:
Mayair has always treated me great. Don't book online, email them and get a better price. It is of course depending on the schedule and how it matched with your connection, but many times for us it was the difference between a 0900 ferry and the 1100 Mayair. That is breakfast at the Museo or something.

And last time it was raining they had a STACK of umbrellas at the gate for the walk out to the plane. Classy. Meanwhile American, Delta the rest were standing on the stairs waiting to get into the plane getting wet. And to date, the only Coz trip with a cancelled flight was when Airtran couldn't get into Baltimore (Charm City....) because of fog. The biggest fight was getting OUT of the airport which took a bit. As soon as I did, I grabbed a Lomas guy in the turquoise and white and said can you PLEASE get me home to Coz. They called and got me a van (free) which rushed over and got me to the terminal. Boom, baby, 15 minutes later in Coz. Celebrated cancellation of Airtran with deep dish at Ohana. And the deep dish at Ohana takes much longer to make than a Mayair flight.

That being said, I don't travel with a DanDon Kitchen Sink Set. And I do like a ferry ride when I am not rushing to make a flight.

And my local price is only $32.... :)

I have flown with this guy a bunch of time:

Mayair pilot.jpg

And heck even Buzz Aldrin loves Mayair. (That is his happy face....)

Buzz on Mayair.jpg

Dear Chief,

I guess I just hear more horror stories than you do…but I have personally seen plenty myself. I am glad you have had good luck.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS I am a pilot myself and can commend the flight crews as very professional, so no one should be worried about safety.

Last edited:
Ain't that every airline, Dave? Not to say I have heard of cancelled flight on Mayair or delay, but in the time we have been flying I haven't experience them, some member of my fam or I on the other hand coming to and from Cozumel experienced during that same period:

Flight cancelled in Cancun to Baltimore. Had to go back to Island.

Flight overbooked, girls stuck in Dallas. Saw Rodeo at FT Worth stock yard.

Flight to Dallas moved from BWI to DCA, flight to Coz cancelled while enroute to Dallas. Rebooked second leg to CUN. With delay, no ferry or Mayair, stayed in Playa.

Connection from CZM in Detroit to BWI, delayed because three planes no good. Changed gates and looked at plane each time. Finally plane delayed again when man lights bowl of 'special blend' in seat in back. Back to gate to get him arrested and baggage searched.

Did I mention Mayair gave us umbrellas when it was sprinkling?

One thing though, there is NO drink service on Mayair!

---------- Post added April 28th, 2015 at 10:32 PM ----------

I did read Mayair took a bird strike in Campeche a few years ago. Don't think anyone got hurt.

Dear Chief,

No, its not like every airline. I fly back and forth to CZM about every other week (got kids in Houston) and have done so for many years. Very seldom have I had any problems (like once or twice in 20 plus years—when it has involved direct flights. Those "horror stories" you refer to seem to be all associated with change of plane problems. So, even if you grant that Mayair is well organized (I don't) then that change of plane risk scenario just gets multiplied.

In addition to my own problems with Mayair, don't you think I may have conversations with MANY travelers who have had less than wonderful experiences?

But, again, I am happy for you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS at the CZM airport, United also provides umbrellas.

I had the chance to fly Mayair once from Cancun to Cozumel. I walk outside Terminal 3 and the ADO bus is leaving in about 15 minutes.

I took the bus. What can I say...the bus/ferry option is one that I enjoy.

Dear Chief,

No, its not like every airline. I fly back and forth to CZM about every other week (got kids in Houston) and have done so for many years. Very seldom have I had any problems (like once or twice in 20 plus years—when it has involved direct flights. Those "horror stories" you refer to seem to be all associated with change of plane problems. So, even if you grant that Mayair is well organized (I don't) then that change of plane risk scenario just gets multiplied.

In addition to my own problems with Mayair, don't you think I may have conversations with MANY travelers who have had less than wonderful experiences?

But, again, I am happy for you.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

PS at the CZM airport, United also provides umbrellas.

You know I am just poking the bear, right? :poke: Does this mean I had my last free margarita? Or, perish the thought, I have to buy the next round?

Just for the record, one of my big airline stories was about a direct flight, so the correct statement would be 'most involved non-direct flights.' On the direct one, Mayair saved me and had me back in Coz eating Ohana deep dish. And you make a good point, I guess ALL flights involving two or more legs can often suck. You need to promote Aldora more in the DC area and see if we can get some direct CZM flights. I mean NYC has them, why not the DC area?

I have to say too that I have read many travelers stories here on SB about traveling to Coz and have heard lots of complaints on big airlines for all sorts of things and the only ones I remember on Mayair were getting hammered on overweight charges. Buddy of mine got hit for overweight. He said give me my money back I am taking the ferry. And thus began a typical Mexican negotiation. At the end, he arrived a price he accepted. Just like the taxis and such. Before I got my $32 local ticket, I always negotiated my fare and paid less than posted rates. To me it just fits into the Mexican way. I like it.

They were really great when I booked almost an entire plane for the big family trips. Took 15 seats which left few for anyone else. But maybe some day they will screw me over and I will get stuck in Coz. And maybe that will be bad. I dunno. Things change. Today's hero is tomorrow's zero.

I did stop taking the Mayair flights that got me to the Cancun check in desk at 60 minutes on the dot. I decided I was tempting fate too much there.

I tried calling Southwest to bargain. They laughed at me.

And you know, I am spit-balling here, you have a dive op, a resort and a filling station. I am thinking next Aldora Air? You said you are pilot right? You could put in an end to end scuba vacation solution. Heck I would fly with you. You would have everything but ground transportation. (And don't think even you are that brave...) "The Aldora Cancun Express" How about it?

And did United borrow the nice umbrellas that say Mayair on them? :cool2:

I had the chance to fly Mayair once from Cancun to Cozumel. I walk outside Terminal 3 and the ADO bus is leaving in about 15 minutes.

I took the bus. What can I say...the bus/ferry option is one that I enjoy.

And I agree with you lil' Dave, I love the ferry too on the way down. I seldom use Mayair coming down. Of course I get a $50 van to get me there. While the bus is very nice and all, I find it too slow and too plebeian.

In fact, while I have not tried Barcos Caribe, my current favorite is Ultramar with Latinga on the weatherdeck. And the beer guy knows me. And now that I got a ferry card, it is even better!

In his old shades, he used to be a ringer for Johnny Knoxville:

Coz20131206iPhone 4S-10.jpg

And I don't mind waiting for the ferry a bit in Playa:

Coz20131206iPhone 4S-6.jpg

"l'il Dave?"

Who constantly refutes my assertion that you never (seldom?) see anything in swim throughs?

So ONE TIME I am behind Dave in a wide open swim through and a guppy, or sergeant major or angel fish or something swims by us and approaches me with gaping mouth at which point I bop it on its long snout to avoid serious personal injury or death.

Back
Top Bottom