Airbus 380 not that big!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

when you get down onto the tarmac that will be when you know how big it is.

I'm a boeing fan too. Fedex and UPS cancelled their orders for the freighter version of the A380F and turned to Boeing for the 777F. In fact, they have lost all their orders for the freighter version.

mike s:
The major advantage of the A380 is that 2nd deck. You can pack a lot more people into that plane.

but back to airports. 10,000 foot or longer runways are not the only problem.

The A380 uses double-decker jetways to load it. Not that many (if any) airports have that yet. So it means upgrades for the airports/airlines.

The MTOW is about 50% higher than the 747. An extra couple hundres thousand pounds might max out the max weight a ramp can handle.

DFW already has a problem with the Boeing 777. it takes up 3 gates because of the wide wingspan. I'm sure the A380 also causes a similar problem many places.

But here's my major concern, in the event of an emergency,
#1. can they control a plane that large and heavy in an inflight emergency?
#2. Can they evacuate 570+ people out of it, assuming it lands safely?

I'm leary to say no on both of these.

BTW... UPS just canceled their A380 orders.

Dont you think that packing that many people into one plane is dangerous? 1 plane goes down and thats it, 500+ passenger will lose their lives...it is worth it for the economics?

Thalassamania:
Air Force doesn't fly 747s (except the 89th). I assume no simulators, no expertise, etc.

That is not correct. The Air Force does have other 747's, just not many. Air Force one is just the one you see most often. (There are actually two 747's used as Air Force One also, FYI, both 747-200's.).

Of course any Air Force aircraft the President is on is considered Air Force One. Slick Willy used to take an USAF Gulfstream V to Martha's Vineyard, so It was AF1 for the tiem being. (the 89th operates GV's also. I think Gulfstream and Flight Safety trains them in Savannah).

I wouldn't say they don't have the expertise. They are prob some of the most experienced pilots in the USAF. But no simulators is correct. They use the UPS similators in Kentucky.

Here's info on the other 747's the USAF flies.

It flies the USAF Airborne Laser, a 747-400 series. (Still in test). It's flown out at Edwareds AFB.
http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/military/abl/index.html

The USAF also flies the E-4B, a 747-200 Airborne Operations Command Center
They are flown by the 55th Air Wing out of Offutt Air Force Base
http://www.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?fsID=99

dive_lover88:
Dont you think that packing that many people into one plane is dangerous? 1 plane goes down and thats it, 500+ passenger will lose their lives...it is worth it for the economics?

Yes... I do agree. That was my point. You can't get 570+ people off quickly enough in the event of a ground emergency. First time one of these things crashes, no one will fly on them again.

are they really going to get 560 people to fly on one of these at the same time. they can't even fill a 747 fully..and who wants to be onboard with 559 other people. The 787-9 seems to be the next generation pasanger jet... 20% more efficent than a 767 and faster with more leg room ....

the A380 is bigger ... but not like "huge" bigger so much as "bulkier" bigger

it's like two guys that are 6'2 and one weights 200 lbs and the other weights 300

H2Andy:
the A380 is bigger ... but not like "huge" bigger so much as "bulkier" bigger

it's like two guys that are 6'2 and one weights 200 lbs and the other weights 300
Go to post #3 and click on the hyperlink for dimensional comparison

it's a bit bigger ... what, about 10%?

Skull:
are they really going to get 560 people to fly on one of these at the same time. they can't even fill a 747 fully...

Says who? Up until recently I was commuting to London weekly. Newark/London on a Virgin Atlantic 747 that was full every time.

450+ people ??? on one plane ...count me out !! Back in the early 80's I was traveling for a company out of Pa 3 times/week ...couldn't stand the crowds back then can't imagine being stuck w/ 450+ people for 13 hrs ...

A380 w/ 550+ ...I'd shoot myself first...

Skull:
450+ people ??? on one plane ...count me out !! Back in the early 80's I was traveling for a company out of Pa 3 times/week ...couldn't stand the crowds back then can't imagine being stuck w/ 450+ people for 13 hrs ...

A380 w/ 550+ ...I'd shoot myself first...

You sound like you need a private jet to yourself:D

A plane this size would mean a bigger maintanence headache for the mechanics and engineers...any one working in the airline maintanence business can back me up:D

Back
Top Bottom